Baseball Opens Five-Game Trip Friday At Cal
GAME 20: Oregon State (15-4, 4-2) vs. California (10-10, 3-3)
March 25, 2022 • 6:00 p.m. PT • Berkeley, Calif. • Stu Gordon Stadium
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (5-0, 1.88) vs. RHP Josh White (0-1, 3.54)
Oregon State and California begin a three-game series Friday night at Stu Gordon Stadium in Berkeley. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will be broadcast on Pac-12 Oregon. Roxy Bernstein will call the action.
Subscribers to the Pac-12 Networks can watch the game online at pac-12.com or by using the Pac-12 Now app on smartphones and tablets.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Travis Bazzana and Justin Boyd each posted three hits and two RBI to send Oregon State to an 8-3 midweek win over Seattle Wednesday at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. Greg Fuchs also drove in two for OSU, which improved to 11-2 in non-conference games this season. Jaren Hunter started and worked a career-long five innings, while Mitchell Verburg picked up his first win of the season with 1 2/3 scoreless innings of relief.
• Oregon State has won five consecutive over California and is now 50-44 all-time versus the Golden Bears.
• The Beavers are 9-1 over their last 10 games against Cal, with the lone loss a 3-2 decision to open the 2019 series at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field.
• OSU has won nine of the last 10 series versus Cal. The Beavers are 24-6 against the Golden Bears over that stretch.
Oregon State Notes
• Cooper Hjerpe and Travis Bazzana are the reigning Pac-12 Pitcher and Player of the Week, respectively. Hjerpe struck out a career-best 12 in a win Friday versus Arizona State. Bazzana, meanwhile, collected eight hights, 11 RBI and two home runs in five games versus Grand Canyon and Arizona State.
• Bazzana's eight RBI in the series opener against the Sun Devils were one shy of tying Ken Bowen's 1985 school record (versus Chico State). Bazzana is the first Beaver with eight RBI since Shea McFeely versus Portland in 2004.
• Bazzana stretched his hit streak to seven games with a 3-for-4 day Wednesday versus Seattle. He has 15 RBI with two home runs and two doubles over that stretch. He has pushed ahead to second in the Pac-12 with 25 RBI this season.
• Bazzana is second only to Jacob Melton, who has 35 RBI on the year. Both tie for the team lead with 10 multi-hit games in 2022.
• Hjerpe lowered his ERA in Pac-12 play during his career to 3.04 after the outing versus ASU. Comparatively, his ERA in non-con play is 4.69.
• OSU is 9-2 when scoring first this season, and 7-1 away from home.
• OSU has outscored opponents 32-10 in the first and 35-5 in the eighth this season.