Ducks Sweep UW on Senior Day
EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon dominated from start to finish in a 4-0 sweep of No. 20 Washington in the home regular season finale Sunday at the UO Outdoor Tennis Courts.
"Today was a special day," said head coach Courtney Nagle. "We celebrated our senior, Allison Mulville, prior to the match and it was the start of a great day for us. Today was the most complete match we have played all the way through from doubles and on every singles court."
"Very proud of this team and the way they showed up today. We wanted it and wanted it for our senior and it showed."
The Ducks (11-5, 3-3 Pac-12) handed UW (13-5, 4-1 Pac-12) its first conference loss of the season, as the Huskies came into the day atop the Pac-12 standings. UO moved to 3-3 in Pac-12 play with four regular season conference matches remaining.
How It Happened: The Ducks (11-5, 3-3 Pac-12) set the tone with a dominant doubles point, as Ares Teixido Garcia and Karin Young posted a 6-1 win before Sophie Luescher and Uxia Martinez Moral put UO up 1-0 with a 6-1 win of their own.
Oregon kept that momentum rolling into singles play, as three Ducks turned in dominant second sets to clinch the match. Martinez Moral made it 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-0 win at the No. 5 spot before Luescher added a 7-5, 6-1 victory at the No. 1 spot to put the Ducks a point away. Young provided the clinching point with a 7-5, 6-0 win, giving Oregon its second ranked win in the last three matches.
Oregon improved to 25-5 at home dating back to the start of the 2020 dual season, highlighted by a 19-3 record over the last two seasons. UO has also won its last 15 matches played indoor at home, while also winning three straight against ranked opponents at home.
Prior to the match Oregon honored its lone senior, Allison Mulville, making it back-to-back seasons in which the Ducks have gotten a ranked win on Senior Day after beating Stanford last season.
Oregon 4, #20 Washington 0
1. Sophie Luescher/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Vanessa Wong/Nika Zupancic (UW) 6-1
2. Allison Mulville/Myah Petchey (ORE) vs. Hikaru Sato/Sarah Maude-Fortin (UW) 2-5, UF
3. Ares Teixido Garcia/Karin Young (ORE) def. Kelly Leung/Yolanda Lin (UW) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. Sophie Luescher (ORE) def. Vanessa Wong (UW) 7-5, 6-1
2. Myah Petchey (ORE) vs. Sarah Maude-Fortin (UW) 6-1, 3-4, UF
3. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE) vs. Nika Zupancic (UW) 7-6 (7-3), 1-1, UF
4. Karin Young (ORE) def. Hikaru Sato (UW) 7-5, 6-0
5. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Kelly Leung (UW) 6-3, 6-0
6. Allison Mulville (ORE) vs. Yolanda Lin (UW) 6-3, 3-4, UF
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4
Up Next: The Ducks open a road trip to the mountains by taking on BYU on Thursday at 11 a.m.