Men's Tennis Sweeps San Diego State
LOS ANGELES – The No. 59 UCLA men's tennis team earned a 7-0 sweep against San Diego State on Tuesday afternoon at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
It was the second win in three matches for UCLA (6-8, 1-1), which never looked back after securing the doubles point to open the match. The Bruins came up clutch across the singles competition, as the squad won four of five tiebreakers on the day, with all four coming in match-clinching sets.
The Bruins earned a pair of convincing victories in the doubles competition to open the afternoon on the right track. Stefan Leustian and Karl Lee secured a convincing 6-1 win on Court 3 for the first result of the day for the Bruins, with the pair improving to 2-0 on the year. Alexander Hoogmartens and Bryce Pereira then clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 victory over Joe Tyler and Alexander Mändma on Court 1.
Pereira made quick work of Judson Blair on Court 6, winning 6-4, 6-0 for the first singles point of the afternoon. It just the second singles appearance of the season for the redshirt senior from Arcadia, Calif.
On Court 2, Giacomo Revelli started out hot with a 6-1 victory in set one over San Diego State's Victor Castro. He then battled for a 7-6 victory in the clinching second set, picking up a 7-6 win on a 7-4 tiebreaker.
Hoogmartens took care of business on Court 1 with a hard-fought, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) win over Joe Tyler of SDSU to clinch the team victory for the Bruins. Hoogmartens, a freshman from Beersel, Belgium, improved to 13-4 in singles this season and is unbeaten in his last seven matches.
UCLA then battled for a trio of three-set wins to end the match and secure the sweep. Senior Eric Hahn fought back from a 2-6, second-set defeat to win the third set, 7-5, over Mändma on Court 4. Stefan Leustian earned his 13th singles win of the year, closing with a 7-6 third set and a 7-4 tiebreaker to clinch his match on Court 5. Karl Lee had the crowd behind him in the last remaining match, as the freshman battled for a 6-4, 6-7 (7-2), 7-6 (7-4) win over Johannes Seeman on Court 3.
The Bruins are back in action on Friday, April 1 for road matchup against Washington. First serve Bill Quillian Tennis Center is scheduled for 3 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs. San Diego State
3/29/2022 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#59 UCLA 7, San Diego State 0
1. #38 Alexander Hoogmartens (UCLA) def. Joe Tyler (SDSU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) def. Victor Castro (SDSU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Karl Lee def (UCLA) def. Johannes Seeman (SDSU) 6-4, 6-7 (7-2), 7-6 (7-4)
4. Eric Hahn (UCLA) def. Alexander Mändma (SDSU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
5. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) def. Jules Auffray (SDSU) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Judson Blair (SDSU) 6-4, 6-0
1. Alexander Hoogmartens/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Joe Tyler/Alexander Mändma (SDSU) 6-2
2. Johannes Seeman/Victor Castro (SDSU) vs. Giacomo Revelli/Max Wild 4-3, unfinished
3. Stefan Leustian/Karl Lee (UCLA) def. Judson Blair/Jules Auffray, 6-1
UCLA 6-8; National Ranking #59
San Diego State 5-8; National ranking N/A
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1, 2 unfinished); Singles (6, 2, 1, 4, 5, 3)