Ducks Roll Past Buffs, Win Sixth Straight
BOULDER, Colo. – Oregon capped off a three-match road trip to the mountains with its sixth straight victory behind a 4-1 win at Colorado Sunday.
"Very proud of this team," said head coach Courtney Nagle. "The determination and grit they have shown all weekend long is incredible. To be coming home 3-0 on the weekend in the mountains is tough to do and they did it."
How It Happened: The Ducks (14-5, 5-3 Pac-12) opened things up by taking a tightly contested doubles point to jump out to an early 1-0 lead. After Ares Teixido Garcia and Karin Young quickly put away their match with a 6-2 win at the No. 3 spot, Sophie Luescher and Uxia Martinez Moral clinched the point with a 7-5 victory at No. 1 doubles, winning the last two games after being tied 5-5.
Colorado (6-11, 0-7 Pac-12) put up the first point of singles with a win at the No. 6 spot to tie the match at one, but Luescher quickly followed with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 1 singles to put the Ducks back in front. Young put UO a point away from clinching with her 15th consecutive singles victory, winning 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 4 spot to move to 16-1 on the season.
For the second time in three matches, Martinez Moral provided the clincher with a three-set win at the No. 5 spot, coming back from a first-set loss to win 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 and lock up a UO victory.
Notable: The Ducks won their fifth straight conference match, the longest streak by the program since 2000 ... Young's 15-match singles winning streak is the longest by a Duck in the last 15 seasons … The Ducks are the first UO team with 14 wins in the first 19 matches since the 1993 team that won a program-record 24 matches.
Oregon 4, Colorado 1
1. Sophie Luescher/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Caroline Pozo/Maria Campos (CU), 7-5
2. Allison Mulville/Myah Petchey (ORE) vs. Ky Ecton/Mila Stanojevic (CU), 5-6 (uf)
3. Ares Teixido Garcia/Karin Young (ORE) def. Ellen Puzak/Betina Tokac (CU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. Sophie Luescher (ORE) def. Antonia Balzert (CU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Myah Petchey (ORE) vs. Caroline Pozo (CU), 7-6(3), 4-4
3. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE) vs. Maria Campos (CU), 7-6(3), 6-6
4. Karin Young (ORE) def. Megan Forster (CU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Mila Stanojevic (CU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Betina Tokac (CU) def. Misaki Kobayashi (ORE), 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 1, 4, 5
Up Next: The Ducks continue their road swing to end the regular season when they take on the L.A. schools, starting Friday at UCLA at 1:30 p.m.