Beavers Make Visit To Hillsboro To Take On UP
Oregon State (20-7) vs. Portland (17-10)
April 5, 2022 • 5:35 p.m. PT • Hillsboro, Ore. • Ron Tonkin Field
RHP Jaren Hunter (0-0, 4.34) vs. RHP Brock Gillis (2-2, 6.48)
Oregon State makes the trek north for a Tuesday midweek matchup with Portland in Hillsboro, Ore. The non-conference matchup at Ron Tonkin Field gets underway at 5:35 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will be broadcast on KRCW, Portland's CW.
A live stream is available and can be viewed by visiting OSUBeavers.com.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Oregon State jumped out to an early five-run lead but Stanford scored eight unanswered runs as the Beavers dropped an 8-5 decision to the Cardinal Sunday afternoon at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. Garret Forrester went 2-for-3 for the Beavers, driving in runs in the first on a single and third on a bases-loaded walk. Oregon State scored four in the third, three on bases-loaded walks and one on a passed ball. The Cardinal, however, answered with three in the top half of the fourth and three more in the sixth to take a one-run advantage. A Tommy Troy double in the eighth pushed Stanford's lead to three. Stanford won the series, 2-1.
• Tuesday's game will mark the fourth all-time for the Beavers in Hillsboro dating back to the 2017 season.
• OSU hosted and defeated Central Arkansas there in 2016, drawing 4,852 fans to Ron Tonkin Field.
• OSU and Portland have played their twice, in 2018 and 2019, splitting the two games.
• The three previous games involving the Beavers have averaged 4,768 fans per matchup.
Oregon State Notes
• Jaren Hunter, Oregon State's probable starter, will be making his fourth career appearance versus the Pilots. He pitched in three games in 2021, totaling four innings. He struck out four and allowed three hits.
• Wade Meckler carries an eight-game hit streak into Tuesday's matchup. Meckler is 15-for-36 with three doubles, a triple and five runs batted in during the streak.
• He was 8-for-14 with two doubles, a triple and two runs scored over three games versus Stanford.
• Cooper Hjerpe was named the Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week Monday for the second time this season. His 17 strikeouts Friday against Stanford are the most in a single game by any pitcher nationally this season.
• OSU leads the Pac-12 with a .323 batting average (tied for fifth nationally), 246 runs scored (13th), 162 walks drawn (tied for eighth) and a .431 on-base percentage (eighth).
• Garret Forrester is tied for first in the nation and second in the Pac-12 with 32 walks. Justin Boyd, meanwhile, is tied for 14th nationally with 27 base on balls.
• Forrester needs just 11 to move into a tie for 10th-most in a single-season at Oregon State.