Golfers Off to Santa Cruz
Oregon will try for its sixth top five finish in the last seven events at the Western Intercollegiate, which will be played Monday through Wednesday at the par-70, 6,511-yard Pasatiempo Golf Course in Santa Cruz, Calif. In preparation for the Pac-12 Championship format, teams will count their top five scores among six players.
• The Ducks' top-five finishes this season include two wins - the Saint Mary's Invitational (Nov. 8-10) and the Bandon Dunes Championship (March 6-8), a runner-up finish at The Prestige (Feb. 21-23) and a fifth-place showing at both Duck Invitational (March 21-22) and The Goodwin (Mach 24-26).
• Owen Avrit has had 13 sub-par rounds in 27 total rounds in 2021-22, including a career-low 64 at the Maui Jim Invitational. He leads the team with 80 birdies this season.
• Eric Doyle set the UO freshman record with a 63 in the final round of The Goodwin. That was one shot off the school record of 62 shared by four players. Doyle had a career-best fifth-place finish at 9-under 201.
• Greg Solhaug posted back-to-back top-10 finishes at the Bandon Dunes Championship (T4) and the Duck Invitational (T9). He also tied for fifth at the Saint Mary's Invitational in the fall.
• Nate Stember finished eighth at the Bandon Dunes Championship (+1).
• Freshman Greyson Leach tied for first at the Husky Individual Invitational, shooting a 10-under 206.