Dawgs Come Up One Short At Cal
BERKELEY, Calif. – The Husky men's tennis team came up one point short on the road today against California, suffering a tough 4-3 loss at Hellman Tennis Complex to drop to 2-4 in Pac-12 play. Washington won the doubles point and got straight set wins at the top two singles spots from Clement Chidekh and Jack Davis, but Cal won the three through six courts in singles play.
The Dawgs came out focused in doubles and quickly built a 4-1 lead on court one and a 5-0 lead on court two. Davis and Ewen Lumsden knocked off 44th-ranked Kikuchi/Overbeck by a 6-3 score at No. 1, and moments later, Clement Chidekh and Nedim Suko clinched the point with a 6-2 win at No. 2 over Hill/Magnaudet.
Owning the 1-0 lead heading to singles, the Huskies chalked up the first win thanks to Davis, as he streamrolled to a 6-1, 6-2 win over Philip Hjorth at No. 2. Cal got its first point at No. 3, where Ewen Lumsden lost in straight sets to Sean Hill, making it 2-1 overall.
Chidekh finished off a 2-0 trip at No. 1 singles as he beat another ranked player, 105th-ranked Yuta Kikuchi, 6-2, 6-3, putting the Dawgs up 3-1.
But the remaining three matches were all up for grabs, and ultimately they were grabbed by the Bears. Han-Chih Lin was looking to force a third set at No. 4 singles, but he lost a set two tiebreak to lose, 6-3, 7-6 (4) against Carl Emil Overbeck.
The final two matches went to third sets, but the Dawgs fell behind early and couldn't recover. Nedim Suko lost a 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 match at No. 6 to Lucas Magnaudet. Cesar Bouchelaghem stayed alive with a tough second set win, but Cal's Derrick Chen jumped on the third set and won 6-2, 5-7, 6-1, to clinch the victory.
UW will be back home next week to close out the regular season against Arizona State and Arizona.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 9, 2022
Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
#47 Washington – 3
#43 California – 4
1. (#6) Clement Chidekh (UW) def. (#105) Yuta Kikuchi (Cal) – 6-2, 6-3
2. Jack Davis (UW) def. Philip Hjorth (Cal) – 6-1, 6-2
3. Sean Hill (Cal) def. Ewen Lumsden (UW) – 6-0, 6-3
4. Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal) def. Han-Chih Lin (UW) – 6-3, 7-6 (4)
5. Derrick Chen (Cal) def. Cesar Bouchelaghem (UW) – 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
6. Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) def. Nedim Suko (UW) – 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 5
1. Davis/Lumsden (UW) def. (#44) Kikuchi/Overbeck (Cal) – 6-3
2. (#55) Chidekh/Suko (UW) def. Hill/Magnaudet (Cal) – 6-2
3. Bouchelaghem/Lin (UW) vs. Chen/Hjorth (Cal) – 3-5, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2