Comeback Comes Up Short At Washington State
PULLMAN, Wash. – Still hampered by injury, on the road at their rival, the Huskies rallied back from 0-3 down to even up today's Pac-12 finale at 3-3, but Washington State earned the final singles win to win the Boeing Apple Cup Series dual.
The Huskies rallied behind singles wins from Yolanda Lin, Hikaru Sato, and Zoey Weil to even it up at 3-3, but WSU's Fifa Kumhom came back from a set down to beat freshman Kelly Leung at No. 5 singles, 3-6, 6-2, 6-0, to thwart the Husky comeback.
UW got Nika Zupancic back in the lineup but will be without No. 2 singles player Sarah-Maude Fortin for the remainder of the season. Zupancic gave it her best but fell at No. 2 singles in straight sets, and Vanessa Wong also lost at No. 1 to 41st-ranked Michaela Bayerlova. Along with a 2-1 doubles point loss, the one win at No. 3 from Weil and Leung, the Dawgs were in a hole.
At WSU's Simmelink Courts, the top four matches go on first, followed by five and six when the first matches finish. So UW's rally started at four, where Lin beat Hania Abouelsaad, 7-6 (5), 6-3. Leung and Weil were then winning their first sets at five and six, while Sato was coming back from a first set loss at the No. 3 spot, which gave the Dawgs a path to the win.
Sato, playing at her former school for the first time as an opponent, kept the Dawgs going with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 win over Maxine Murphy. Shortly after that, Weil got her second-straight win, 6-2, 6-3, over Yang Lee at No. 6. But WSU pulled it out on court five.
Washington will be back home this Sunday for Senior Day against San Francisco, starting at 4 p.m., and will honor Wong, Weil, and Zupancic before the match.
Washington Women's Tennis
April 15, 2022
Simmelink Tennis Courts | Pullman, Wash.
No. 32 Washington – 3
Washington State – 4
1. (#41) Michaela Bayerlova (WSU) def. (#101) Vanessa Wong (UW) – 6-2, 6-1
2. Savanna Ly-Nguyen (WSU) def. Nika Zupancic (UW) – 6-1, 6-1
3. Hikaru Sato (UW) def. Maxine Murphy (WSU) – 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Yolanda Lin (UW) def. Hania Abouelsaad (WSU) – 7-6 (5), 6-3
5. Fifa Kimhom (WSU) def. Kelly Leung (UW) – 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
6. Zoey Weil (UW) def. Yang Lee (WSU) – 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5
1. (#57) Bayerlova/Murphy (WSU) def. (#85) Wong/Sato (UW) – 6-2
2. Ly-Nguyen/Lee (WSU) def. Zupancic/Lin (UW) – 6-2
3. Weil/Leung (UW) def. Abouelsaad/Kumhom (WSU) – 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2