No. 20 Sun Devils Down Wildcats, End Season On Six-Match Winning Streak
TEMPE, Ariz. – The No. 20 Sun Devils routed in-state rival Arizona, 4-1, in the finale on Saturday at the Whiteman Tennis Center to close out the regular season with six straight wins.
Sedona Gallagher's 6-3, 6-4, win on Court 3 over the Wildcats' Lexi Ryngler clinched the Sun Devils' 14th win of the 2021-22 campaign. It's the 10th time in the last 11 seasons that ASU has tallied a 14-plus win season.
The Sun Devils rounded out the year with an 11-1 mark at home, the most wins at Whiteman in a season since 2016.
RING THE VICTORY BELL ?? pic.twitter.com/6vewpHucqz
— Arizona State Women's Tennis (@sundevilwtennis) April 16, 2022
ASU had to fight for the doubles point and, in front of a packed home crowd, managed to down two Arizona tandems on Courts 1 & 2.
Sedona Gallagher and Giulia Morlet toppled Arizona's Kayla Wilkin and Khim Iglupas on Court 2, 6-2. Moments after the Wildcats took Court 3, No. 18 Patricija Spaka and Domenika Turkovic emerged in a thriller, winning 7-6 (9-7) over Salma Ziouti and Kirsten Prelle.
The Sun Devils carried over their doubles momentum into singles play, where four first sets broke the Maroon & Gold's way. Spaka and Marianna Argyrokastriti were the first two off, both notching wins to pull ASU ahead, 3-0.
It paved the way for Sedona Gallagher, whose straight-sets defeat of Ryngler sent the Wildcats home.
"Really happy for the team to end the regular season with a win over our rival," head coach Sheila McInerney said. "We knew it would be a battle and it was. I thought the doubles point was key as we saved five match points at [Court] #1 to secure the win.
"We used that momentum to get off to a good start in the singles, winning four first sets and did a great job closing those matches. Proud of the girls for finishing the season with six straight wins and looking forward to the postseason."
1. Morlet,Giulia (ASU) vs. Salma Ziouti (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-5, unfinished
2. Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) vs. Kayla Wilkins (ARIZ) 0-6, 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
3. Sedona Gallagher (ASU) def. Lexi Ryngler (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-4
4. Midori Castillo-Meza (ARIZ) def. Jankowski,Cali (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Patricija Spaka (ASU) def. Kirsten Prelle (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-2
6. Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) def. Khim Iglupas (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-3
1. Patricija Spaka/Turkovic,Domenika (ASU) def. Salma Ziouti/Kirsten Prelle (ARIZ) 7-6
2. Morlet,Giulia/Sedona Gallagher (ASU) def. Kayla Wilkins/Khim Iglupas (ARIZ) 6-2
3. Belen Nevenhoven/Midori Castillo-Meza (ARIZ) def. Jankowski,Cali/Argyrokastriti,M (ASU) 7-6
The Sun Devils have gotten hot when it's mattered most, winners of their last six contests. They'll look to carry the momentum over to the Pac-12 Championships from April 20-23 in Ojai, California.
To stay up to date with the Sun Devils' postseason run, follow the team's Twitter account, @sundevilwtennis.