Men's Tennis Drops Conference Finale at Utah
SALT LAKE CITY – The No. 53 UCLA men's tennis team suffered a 4-0 loss at No. 32 Utah Sunday, concluding the conference portion of the Bruins' schedule.
Bruno Krenn cinched the win for the Utes (20-6, 4-4 Pac-12) at George S. Eccles Tennis Center. UCLA (9-11, 2-4) was unable to get on the board despite taking three singles first sets. The Bruins will have another chance to earn a win in Utah Monday (10 a.m. PT), when it visits Weber State for a non-league contest.
With Courts 1 and 3 both home to tightly-contested matches in doubles play, Utah's tandem of Francisco Bastias and Bruno Caula made a statement on Court 2. The pair registered a 6-1 win against Jeffrey Fradkin and Karl Lee for the advantage. Then, with the Court 1 contest locked in a 4-all tie, Jayson Blando and Mathias Gavelin closed out Bryce Pereira and Stefan Leustian for a 6-4 result on Court 3 to give the Utes the doubles point.
Singles first sets were split evenly between the teams, with the front-court trio of Lee, Revelli and Zahraj collecting them for UCLA.
Each of the back courts went the way of Utah, however, with Gavelin finishing first on Senior Day. He came out on top of a 6-3, 6-2 decision versus Fradkin on Court 5.
Pereira had his five-match singles winning streak stopped on Court 4 by Caula, whose 6-3, 6-4 victory made it 3-0.
Krenn also ensured his match would not need a third set, holding off Leustian by a 6-4, 6-3 margin on Court 6 to clinch the overall win for the Utes.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Utah
4/17/2022 at Salt Lake City, UT
(George S. Eccles Tennis Center)
#32 Utah 4, #53 UCLA 0
1. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) vs. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
2. Francisco Bastias (UTAH) vs. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 6-7 (4-7), 2-0, unfinished
3. #111 G. Espin Busleiman (UTAH) vs. Karl Lee (UCLA) 4-6, 6-2, unfinished
4. Bruno Caula (UTAH) def. Bryce Pereira (UCLA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Jeffrey Fradkin (UCLA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Bruno Krenn (UTAH) def. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) 6-4, 6-3
1. #33 Franco Capalbo/G. Espin Busleiman (UTAH) vs. Giacomo Revelli/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 4-4, unfinished
2. Francisco Bastias/Bruno Caula (UTAH) def. Jeffrey Fradkin/Karl Lee (UCLA) 6-1
3. Jayson Blando/Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Stefan Leustian/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) 6-4
UCLA 9-11; National ranking #53
Utah 20-6; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,4,6)