Sun Devils Down Top-Seeded Cal, Punch Ticket to Pac-12 Championship Game
OJAI, Calif. – For the first time in program history, the Sun Devils are headed to the championship game of the Pac-12 Tournament.
They punched their ticket on Friday afternoon, defeating defending champion and top-seeded Cal, 4-3, at the Ojai Valley Tennis Club. Marianna Argyrokastriti was today's hero, sliding past Cal's Hannah Viller Moeller in three sets (2-6, 6-1, 6-4) that broke a 3-3 tie and sealed a historic Sun Devil win.
The No. 5 Sun Devils are the lowest seed to ever reach the final of the Pac-12 Tournament since its inception in 2017.
Squaring off against the winner of No. 2 UCLA and No. 3 Stanford, the championship will be held on Saturday, April 23, at 12 p.m. The Pac-12 Network will stream the event.
It's the first time since 2002 that the Sun Devils have beaten Cal twice within the same season. ASU bested its league rival three weeks ago in Tempe, 4-2.
For the second consecutive day, the Sun Devils pulled out a win the tough way – by having to take four of six singles matches after dropping the doubles point.
To make matters trickier, the Golden Bears took four of six first sets, paving the way for an incredible Sun Devil comeback.
Giulia Morlet and Patricija Spaka helped the Sun Devils obtain their first lead of the day, a 2-1 edge, after the two pulled out individual wins on Courts 1 and 5, respectively.
The Golden Bears picked up two quick points after winning Courts 3 and 4 to tie the match at 3-3.
The match would then be decided on Court 6, where Argyrokastriti and Viller Moeller were headed for a third set. After dropping the first, 6-2, the Sun Devil sophomore stormed back to take the final two.
Make that eight consecutive wins for the Devils, who have magically played their way into the championship game.
- #39 Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. #21 Patricija Spaka/Domenika Turkovic (ASU), 7-6
- Sedona Gallager/Giulia Morlet (ASU) def. #68 Jessica Alsola/Katja Wiersholm (Cal), 7-5
- Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Marianna Argyrokastriti/Cali Jankowski (ASU), 6-2
- Giulia Morlet (ASU) def. Haley Giavara (Cal), 6-4, 6-2
- Domenika Turkovic (ASU) def. Jessica Alsola (Cal), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Katja Wiersholm (Cal) def. Sedona Gallagher (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
- Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Cali Jankowski (ASU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
- Patricija Spaka (ASU) def. Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-4, 6-3
- Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU) def. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4