Utah Sweeps Salt Lake CC, Closes Out Home Tournament Saturday
SALT LAKE CITY – Utah Beach Volleyball began its home tournament with a match against Salt Lake Community College Friday morning and an exhibition match versus No. 17 Arizona. The Utes defeated the Bruins 5-0 for the third time this season before the Wildcats took a 3-1 win in an exhibition match to end the day's play.
Against Salt Lake Community College, the Utes came out of the gates strong with Grace Andrews and Bella Vezzani besting the Bruins 21-10 and 21-8 on court two to give Utah the early 1-0 lead. On court four, Lauren Sayre and Sommer Daniel would keep the momentum going by winning in straight sets as well, 21-14, 21-12. Kylie Pitzak and Sydney Jacinto on court five later would produce the match clinching point although the rest of the pairs would go on to complete the sweep in the end. Jacinto and Pitzak dominated their match and took the win 21-5, 21-11.
On court three, Marissa Koch and Samantha Leight also excelled against their opposition with a 21-11, 21-12 victory. The top pair for Utah completed the sweep and ensured every court would win in straight sets as Sage Patchell and Amaya Messier were able to close out the dominate tournament opener with a 21-16, 21-12 win.
After a change of location and a move inside due to inclement weather, Utah's second match of the day came against on a familiar foe in Arizona at the Sand Bar in North Salt Lake where the team practices. Pitzak and Jacinto continued their strong days on court five, winning in straight sets over the Wildcats 21-16, 21-15. Arizona's duos would take wins on courts two, three and four, despite Utah's 3's and 4's battling out three-set matches. To highlight the scrimmage with the No. 5's for the Utes, Patchell and Messier would split their contest with the Wildcats' top pair 1-1 and take a draw after the teams did not play out the third set on the top court.
Utah will continue its home tournament Saturday at the Sand Bar in North Salt Lake to minimize weather conditions. The schedule of events has also changed and is listed below. Utah will honor its two seniors Stef Jankiewicz and Sage Patchell tomorrow at 3pm MT prior to the Cal Poly match.
- 9am MT- #13 Cal Poly vs. Boise State
- 11am MT - SLCC vs. Cal Poly
- 1pm MT - Boise State vs. Utah
- 3pm MT - #13 Cal Poly vs. Utah (Senior Day)
Utah 5, Salt Lake Community College 0
1. Sage Patchell/Amaya Messier (UU), def. Sammy Perry/ Laura Fiabane (SLCC) 21-16, 21-12
2. Grace Andrews/Bella Vezzani (UU) def. Sunny Brown/ Stasia Tuifua (SLCC) 21-10, 21-8
3. Marissa Koch/Samantha Leight (UU) def. Elena Wallace/ Nana Sekona (SLCC), 21-11, 21-12
4. Sommer Daniel/Lauren Sayre (UU) def. Kennady Charlton/ Annie Michaels (SLCC) 21-11, 21-12
5. Kylie Pitzak/Sydney Jacinto (UU) def. Sandra Sasaki / Kanon Miyaki (SLCC) 21-5, 21-11
Order of finish: 2,4,5,3,1
Arizona 3, Utah 1
1. Alex Parkhurst/ Alana Rennie (AZ) vs. Sage Patchell/Amaya Messier (UU) 21-19, 15-21, unf.
2. Sarah Blacker/ Maja Kaiser (AZ) def. Grace Andrews/Bella Vezzani (UU) 21-18, 21-17
3. Annie Kost/ Hope Shannon (AZ) def. Marissa Koch/Samantha Leight (UU) 12-21, 21-12, 15-12
4. Abby Russell/ Dana Parker (AZ) def. Lauren Sayre/Sommer Daniel (UU) 15-21, 21-12, 15-8
5. Kylie Pitzak/Sydney Jacinto (UU) def. Kali Uhl/ Miranda Erro (AZ) 21-16, 21-15
Order of finish: 5,2,4,1,3