Trisha Ford Tallies 200th Win at ASU in Team's 3-1 Victory Over Stanford
STANFORD, Calif. – Following Friday night's loss, No. 10 Arizona State softball (32-6, 13-1) defeated Stanford (30-13, 7-7) 3-1 to even the weekend series. ASU only tallied three hits for the game, but worked their count as they got on base via five walks and four hit by pitches. Sun Devil softball head coach Trisha Ford earned her 200th win since joining the team in 2017.
In five and a half seasons, Coach Ford has gone 200-79 while leading the program to their 12th appearance at the NCAA College Women's World Series in 2018. ASU also has had four Regional and one Super Regional appearance under the helm of the 2018 Pac-12 Coach of the Year.
Alynah Torres plowed a two-run home run in the third inning, which allowed the Sun Devils to strike first. The center field homer made it her fourth home run in the last four games to put the Sun Devils up 2-0.
Bella Loomis was put on base twice before she drove in ASU's third run with a sacrifice fly to score Emily Cazares in the fourth inning. Cazares also saw the bases after being walked twice.
Junior Lindsay Lopez pitched her sixth complete game of the season and earned her seventh win of the year in an effective 78 pitches, with 62 being strikes. She forced seven ground outs, five fly outs, three infield pop flies and three foul territory outs.
The series finale will be played on Sunday, April 24 with a noon first pitch on Stanford Live Stream.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Arizona State 3, Stanford 1
- After two scoreless innings, Loomis was hit by a pitch which led to Torres hitting a two-run home run to give the Sun Devils a 2-0 lead. Cydney Sanders hit a blooper to left, but was stranded on base to end the half-inning. Lopez would then have a 1-2-3 inning to keep the lead at two runs going into the fourth.
- Cazares opened the inning with a walk, then Halle Harger won a sharp single down the third base line. Following a Stanford pitching change, a wild pitch advanced runners to second and third, with Jessica Puk being walked to load the bases with zero outs. Loomis hit a sacrifice fly to bring in Cazares for a 3-0 lead. Yannira Acuña was walked to load the bases, but Sanders flew out to end the top-half of the fourth inning.
- In the top-fifth inning, Jazmyn Rollin was hit by a pitch, followed by Cazares being walked, but both were stranded after two fly-outs to keep the game 3-0.
- Stanford was able to score a run after a fielding error, but the Sun Devils escaped the fifth inning with a 3-1 lead.
- After a scoreless sixth inning, Lopez was able to diminish any hopes Stanford had after two foul fly outs to end the game.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU softball this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
Game 1: Friday 4/22 6:00 p.m. MST ASU 1, Stanford 4
Game 2: Saturday 4/23 2:00 p.m. MST ASU 3, Stanford 1
Game 3: Sunday 4/24 12:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | Stanford Live Stream
USA Softball/ESPN.com - 10
NFCA/USA Today - 13
Softball America - 10
D1 Softball - 11