NCAA Round One: Wildcats vs. Tigers
TUCSON, Ariz. - No. 16 Arizona vs. No. 39 Princeton
When: Friday, May 6 at 10 a.m. (MST)
Where: Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.
Team records: Arizona (20-6, 7-1 Pac-12), Princeton (18-8, 4-3 Ivy League)
Series: Series tied 1-1
These two programs have only met twice in program history at the Blue Gray Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala. Their first meeting in Feb. 2018 resulted in a 4-0 sweep for the Wildcats and two years later the Tigers swept Arizona 4-0. The Cats aim to put themselves ahead in the series with Princeton and in the NCAA tournament after tomorrow's match.
Arizona 0, Princeton 4 on Feb. 22, 2020
1. No. 6 Seggerman/Holden (PRINCE) def. Ziverts/Karpovets (ARIZ) 6-4
2. Barki Rodriguez (PRINCE) def. Malbasic/Lagaev (ARIZ) 6-4
3. Reguant/Hassey (ARIZ) def. Poking/Duo (PRINCE) 6-3
1. No. 64 Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ) vs. Poling (PRINCE) 1-6, 6-5 unf.
2. Seggerman (PRINCE) def. No. 40 Filip Malbasic (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-3
3. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) vs. Barki (PRINCE) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 unf.
4. Rodriguez (PRINCE) def. Igor Karpovets (ARIZ) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
5. Carlos Hassey (ARIZ) vs. Peters (PRINCE) 7-6, 4-1 unf.
6. Roberts (PRINCE) def. Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) 0-6, 6-3, 6-0
Road to NCAA - It's the third year in a row that Arizona has been selected for the NCAA tournament under the leadership of head coach Clancy Shields. Two Wildcats will represent Arizona in the NCAA Singles Championship (May 23-28). No. 52 Jonas Ziverts and No. 53 Gustaf Strom were selected for the second time in each of their careers.
In the Ranks - Arizona is ranked No. 16 in this week's ITA rankings and No. 17 in USTA. Three Cats have remained ranked in the ITA top 125 singles since March: No. 52 Jonas Ziverts, No. 53 Gustaf Strom and No. 116 Herman Hoeyeraal. Doubles pair Ziverts and Hoeyeraal are ranked No. 50 out of 90 doubles teams. No. 39 Princeton is home to the No. 55 singles player Ryan Seggerman and the No. 32 doubles pair Seggerman and Justin Barki.
What's Next - If the Wildcats defeat Princeton in the first round then they will play the winner of the match between No. 15 North Carolina and Navy in the second round on Saturday, May 7 at 1 p.m. (MST). Then the winner of the second round will advance to the super-regionals hosted on May 13 or 14.