Baseball Gameday: Vs. Oregon (5/7/22)
Oregon State (36-9, 16-6) vs. Oregon (28-17, 13-9)
May 7, 2022 • 6:00 p.m. PT • Corvallis, Ore. • Goss Stadium at Coleman Field
RHP Jacob Kmatz (8-0, 3.11) vs. RHP Isaac Ayon (3-1, 5.25)
Oregon State and Oregon continue their three-game series Saturday at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. First pitch is slated for 6:05 p.m. PT. The Rivalry Series is presented by Safeway-Albertsons, Spirit Mountain Casino, PacificSource Health Plans, Your Local Toyota Dealers and First Interstate Bank.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will be broadcast live on the Pac-12 Networks. Rich Burk and Bill Rowe will be on the call.
Subscribers to the Pac-12 Networks can watch the game online at pac-12.com or utilize the Pac-12 Now app on smartphones and tablets.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Cooper Hjerpe struck out 11 in six innings and Gavin Logan drove in a pair of runs in the eighth to send No. 2 Oregon State to a 5-1 win over No. 24 Oregon Friday night at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. Hjerpe scattered four hits and a run in his 12th start of the season, picking up his ninth win of the season. He was backed by Ben Ferrer, who struck out six in three scoreless innings of relief, earning his second save of the year.
Oregon State Notes
• OSU is set to honor former head coach Pat Casey with a ceremony that begins at 5:35 p.m.
• Saturday's probable starter, Jacob Kmatz, has won four consecutive starts, limiting opponents to 14 hits and five runs in 22 2/3 innings. That's an ERA of 1.99.
• Kmatz has also struck out 19 to three walks over that stretch.
• Kmatz has a 2.39 ERA in Pac-12 play this season. By comparison, he has a 4.67 ERA in non-conference games.
• Cooper Hjerpe vaulted into seventh in OSU's single-season record books with 120 strikeouts this year. He had 11 in Friday's win.
• Garret Forrester extended his season-long hit streak to 13 games with a single in the eighth Friday. Justin Boyd also pushed his hit streak to 12 with a 1-for-4 night.
• Wade Meckler needs just one run to tie for seventh in a single-season at OSU. He has scored 55 this season.
• OSU's pitching staff has allowed 15 runs and 56 hits in its last 10 Pac-12 games. The Beavers have also issued just 18 walks over that stretch.
• Opponents have scored in no more than one inning of every game for the last 10. The Beavers have two shutouts during that stretch. They have given up runs in the first three times, in the sixth twice and once apiece in the third, seventh and eighth innings.
• OSU has allowed 15 runs over that 10-game stretch and is 9-1.
• Oregon State is assured of a winning Pac-12 Conference season for the 11th consecutive season.
• OSU's fielding percentage overall is .989 and in Pac-12 play it is .988.