First Road Trip This Weekend To Georgia Tech
TEMPE, Ariz. – Sun Devil Volleyball's month-long road trip opens with a trip to Atlanta this weekend to compete in the Georgia Tech Invitational to play in three matches, including two matchups against 2021 NCAA tournament teams in Dayton and No. 5 Georgia Tech.
How to Follow
The matches will span from Friday to Saturday. On Friday, Arizona State will face Dayton first at 9 a.m. MST before playing Florida International later that day at 3 p.m. MST. The final game against the host-team is on Saturday at 2 p.m. MST and will available to view on ACC Network Extra on Saturday afternoon. The first two will not be available to watch but will have live scoring for updates. Links to all of those can be found on the Sun Devil Volleyball schedule page.
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (2-1, 0-0 Pac-12)
- The Sun Devils went 2-1 at the Webb-Burbridge Classic last weekend in Tempe, taking wins over CSU Bakersfield and Northern Iowa.
- Senior outside hitter Iman Isanovic is on the brink of reaching a big milestone. Her 26 kills over the weekend inched her closer to the 1,000 career kill milestone with 997. She would be the 18th Sun Devil who has reached that milestone while playing all of their seasons in Tempe. Against UNI, she notched the first double-double of the season by any Sun Devil with a career-high 16 digs and 12 kills.
- The kill leader on the team after opening weekend is junior pin hitter Marta Levinska with 41. She posted double-digit kills in matches against both CSU Bakersfield and Northern Iowa, notching her career high of 21 in the win over UNI. She was named to the Webb-Burbridge Classic All-Tournament Team.
- Nine of the fourteen blocks ASU had against Northern Iowa came from junior middle blocker Claire Jeter, matching her career high. After the weekend, she led the team in total blocks with 14 and was named to the all-tournament team for her efforts.
- Transfer sophomore Jaden Ravnsborg received the nod at libero in her first outing as a Sun Devil, playing all but one set. She reached double digits in digs in all three matches, including a 14-dig effort in the win over UNI.
- The setting duties were split over the weekend between junior Ella Snyder and senior Shannon Shields. The two assists totals are separated by just one, with Shields earning 57 and Snyder collecting 56.
- The Flyers opened the season at a tournament at Cincinnati, beating Cincinnati and Illinois State and falling to Florida State.
- Last season, Dayton accumulated a 26-6 record, including 16-0 in Atlantic 10 play to win the conference, its 12th in the last 14 seasons. The team advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament.
- In the all-time series between ASU and Dayton, the Sun Devils lead 2-1. The last meeting was back in 2010 at Dayton, with the home team coming away with the win.
Florida International (0-3)
- The Panthers are undefeated to start the 2022 season, falling to Iowa, Gonzaga and Oklahoma at a tournament hosted by the Sooners.
- In 2021, FIU went 9-13 (6-6 Conference USA). The current roster has 13 newcomers and just five returners.
- ASU and FIU have met just once in program history, with the Sun Devils winning that meeting back in 2012.
No. 5 Georgia Tech (2-0)
- The Yellow Jackets won both of their matches over the weekend. They took a 3-1 match against tournament host Ole Miss and swept No. 17 Illinois. With much to prove in the early top-25 matchup against No. 17 Illinois, the Yellow Jackets outscored the Illini by 18 combined points in the last two sets.
- Senior outside hitter Julia Bergmann snatched the first ACC Player of the Week honor of the 2022 season. Following the performances in the first tournament, Bergmann leads the nation in kills per set (6.43) and points per set (7.21). Surpassing 1,200 career kills, the senior and 2021 AVCA All-Americana also moved into seventh in program history in career aces with 133.
- In 2021, Georgia Tech had a stellar season. The team had a 26-6 (14-4 ACC) record and advanced to the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament for the second time in program history.
- The Sun Devils have a 3-0 record against the Yellow Jackets in the all-time series. They last met in 2019, Arizona State winning 3-1. Then a freshman, Isanovic had seven kills.