No. 25 USC Women's Volleyball Drops 3-0 Decision to No. 16 Kentucky
OMAHA, Neb. – The 25th-ranked USC women's volleyball team (4-2) was defeated in three sets (25-17, 25-16, 25-14) by No. 16-ranked Kentucky (4-1) to conclude the Bluejay Invitational at D.J. Sokol Arena on Saturday, Sept. 3. Fr. LIB Gala Trubint was named to the all-tournament team.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led the Trojans with 11 kills and had one block.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga put up 25 assists to go with two kills and a block.
- Fr. OH Jordan Wilson scored 10 kills and hit .421 (2e, 19att) and picked up five digs with a service ace.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint led the Trojan defense with 12 digs.
- For the Wildcats, Reagan Rutherford led all players with 14 kills (2e, 27att, .444) and added three blocks and two service aces. Elise Goetzinger put up 11 kills without an error (.462) and Eleanor Beavin led the team with 12 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- USC hit .258 in the match and collected 35 kills (12e) on 89 swings but couldn't keep pace with a Kentucky attack that also attacked 89 times but scored 50 kills with just six errors for a .494 hitting rate. The Wildcats also won the net with an 8-3 edge in blocks and held a 37-29 advantage in digs.
- Kentucky broke the last of four ties at 12-alll to go ahead for good and closed out a 25-17 win. The 'Cats hit .464 with 16 kills on 28 swings led by five from Adanna Rollins.
- The Wildcats stayed hot in the second set and posted a .531 hitting percentage with 18 kills and stymied the USC attack with five blocks and put up 12 digs.
- Rutherford had five more kills and the Wildcats posted 16 digs. USC got four kills from Fields and three more from Wilson in the third frame, but couldn't stop the Kentucky attack, which closed out a 25-14 win for the sweep.
- USC heads directly to the islands for two meetings with Hawai'i on Friday (Sept. 9) and Saturday (Sept. 10). Both matches will be shown live on Spectrum Sports OC16 with 7 p.m. HT (10 p.m. PT) first serves ob both nights.
- USC fell to 5-4 all-time against Kentucky and has lost three straight to the Wildcats.
- The Women of Troy fell to 6-6 all-time in the state of Nebraska with a 2-6 record in the city of Omaha.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.