USC Women's Volleyball Tops Hawai’i in First of Two Meetings
HONOLULU – The USC women's volleyball team (5-2) earned a four-set win (25-23, 24-26, 27-25, 25-20) over Hawai'i (2-5) at SimpliFi Arena at Stan Sheriff Center on Friday, Sept. 9, in the first of two matches in the Hawaiian Airlines Volleyball Series.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields led the Trojans with 14 kills and added five blocks and five digs with a service ace.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga racked up her first double-double of the season (ninth of her career) with 38 assists and 14 digs. She also had two blocks, a service ace, and a kill.
- Fr. OH Jordan Wilson matched her season high with 12 kills and put up five blocks with two service aces.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint reached double digits in digs for the seventh time and finished with 10 and a pair of aces.
- Jr. MB Lindsey Miller collected nine kills (2e, .389) on 18 swings and shared team-high honors with six blocks.
- Gr. MB Kalyah Williams also had six blocks and tallied six kills including the match-point kill in set four.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske had nine kills (2e, 25att, .280) to go with four blocks and a service ace.
- For the Rainbow Wahine, Caylen Alexander (13), Riley Wagoner (12), and Amber Igiede (11) all reached double-digit kills. Alexander had 10 digs to score a double-double and served a career-high five aces.
— USC Women's Volleyball (@uscwomensvolley) September 10, 2022
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans outhit the Wahine, .252 to .155, and held a big 12.5 to 5.0 edge in blocks. The score was tied 37 times and the lead changed hands throughout the four sets a total of 14 times.
- USC turned in 15 kills and hit .333 in the opening frame while holding Hawai'i to a .083 hitting percentage with nine kills (7e, 24att). Wilson had five of her kills in the first set with Fields and Miller adding three apiece.
- The Women of Troy got up for 7.5 blocks in the second set and outpaced UH hitting, .158 to .049. The Trojans had set point at 24-23, but Hawai'i scored the last three points including a service ace off the tape to seal a 26-24 win.
- Set three was evenly fought with 11 ties and four lead changes. Both teams had 15 kills while UH had a slight .244 to .238 edge in hitting percentage. Fields scored six of her kills; and Wilson and Weske added three kills each while Wilson picked up two service aces, including a trickler off the tape to sew up a 27-25 win and a 2-1 lead in the match.
- USC grabbed three more blocks in the fourth and earned 10 kills in a 25-20 win. The Trojans led by as many as nine at 23-14, but Hawai'i kept chipping away and later saved five match points to come within four at 24-20. Williams had a chance to end things at 24-19 but her shot went wide before she redeemed herself one rally later to score the final kill of the match.
- USC and Hawai'i will play in a rematch to conclude the Hawaiian Airlines Volleyball Series weekend at SimpliFi Arena at Stan Sheriff Center on Saturday, Sept. 10. First serve is set for 7 p.m. HT (10 p.m. PT) and the match will be shown live on OC16 Spectrum Sports on the islands with a stream available on ESPN+.
- USC improved to 20-23 all-time against the Rainbow Wahine and to 15-12 when facing Hawai'i on the islands.
- The Trojans have won the last two matches against UH and four of the last six meetings.
- The Women of Troy improved to 24-13 all-time in the Aloha State.
- USC's win is the program's 1,099th all-time victory (1099-46).
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.