Last Non-Conference Tournament This Weekend In Texas
TEMPE, Ariz. – Sun Devil Volleyball continues their month-long road trip with a weekend in Texas to take on SMU, Texas Tech and Oral Roberts in the Red Raider Classic.
How To Follow
Arizona State will play SMU and Texas Tech on Friday at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. MST, respectively. Saturday will be the finale against Oral Roberts at 10 a.m. MST. The neutral site matches will be on Texas Tech's live stream, while the matchup against the home team will be on ESPN+. Live stats will also be available for all matches.
Sun Devil Outlook
Arizona State (5-4)
- This weekend is the final non-conference competition for ASU after going 1-2 last week at the Baylor Invitational. With three matches left, the Sun Devils have the chance to go at best 8-4, which would be the best record heading into Pac-12 play since 2019.
- This is the third of five-straight weekends on the road for the Sun Devils. Arizona State is the only Pac-12 team to not play a home match in September. Among Power 5 teams, ASU is one of three, along with Northwestern and Ohio State, to be on the road for the entire month.
- As a team, Arizona State is first in the Pac-12 for total aces with 63. Two matches this season rank in the top five in ASU history for total aces. Against Dayton, the Sun Devils had 15 aces, which is the second-highest total. They then had 13 aces in the win over Evansville, which is tied for fifth. Iman Isanovic and Ella Snyder are tied for first on the team with 12 aces on the year.
- Isanovic continues to climb up the career kills list. She currently has 1,072 kills, which puts her in 15th place. She is six away from 14th place. This season, she and Marta Levinska both have over 100 kills with 101 and 103, respectively.
- The Mustangs got off to a solid start, going 5-1 to open the season, but faced some turbulence in their first trip outside of Texas of the 2022 season, going 0-3 against No. 12 San Diego, Utah, and UConn.
- Full of fresh faces, SMU welcomed their organization's second head coach in the program's history, in Sam Erger, as well as six transfers and two freshmen. It will be a different team than the squad that went
- After meeting for the first time in 2003, the Sun Devils have only met SMU one other time, sweeping the Mustangs the first time and taking the other meeting to five sets, for a 1-1 overall record.
Texas Tech (8-1)
- Entering their most recent tournament, the Red Raiders were off to their best start since 2014, at 6-0, entering the Adidas Invitational. Sweeping their first two opponents, Texas A&M- Corpus Christi and Brown, Texas Tech suffered their first loss in a five-set match against Rice.
- Two of the Red Raiders' senior outside hitters, Kenna Sauer and Reagan Cooper, reached 500 career kills at the Bulldog Classic. Sophomore libero Maddie Correra has had double-digit dig showings in eight of nine games this season.
- ASU and Texas Tech have met seven previous times, with the Sun Devils holding the upper hand, 5-2.
Oral Roberts (2-7)
- After winning two of three in their first tournament of the 2022 season, the Golden Eagles have suffered six straight losses. Most recently, they hosted the ORU Invite, in which they saw three 1-3 match losses, including one against Tulsa.
- Last season, the team went 18-11, including an 11-7 mark in Summit League play.
- In three matches, the Sun Devils lead the Miners 2-0-1, with their most recent matchup taking place in 2002, ending in a sweep for ASU.