Round-Up From the Sun Devils’ Fall Season
TEMPE, Ariz. – The Sun Devil Women's Tennis program announced its fall schedule in September, releasing a slate that currently features 14 tournaments and concludes with the annual Thunderbird Invitational in November.
— Arizona State Women's Tennis (@sundevilwtennis) September 15, 2022
The fall season will officially commence on Monday, September 19, as seven Sun Devils will scatter across the country to play in a trio of events.
Freshman Chelsea Fontenel will play in the ITF Lubbock $15,000 as the lone Sun Devil competing in the Lone Star State, with competition held September 19-25.
ITF LUBBOCK $15k UPDATES
- Monday, September 19: Fontenel is through to the second round of the qualifying draw after defeating Margaret Polk in straight sets (6-2, 6-3)
- Tuesday, September 20: Fontenel is off to the Main Draw after toppling Carolina Bohrer Martins in the second round of the qualifying draw (6-3, 6-3). She's set to meet Megan McCray in the first round of the Main Draw next.
- Wednesday, September 21: Fontenel is eliminated in the First Round of the Main Draw, falling to Megan McCray (6-1, 6-1).
In Cary, North Carolina, Giulia Morlet, Domenika Turkovic, Rachel Hanford and Patricija Spaka will partake in the College Ranked Spotlight, hosted by N.C. State from September 22-25.
COLLEGE RANKED SPOTLIGHT UPDATES
- Turkovic/Spaka def. Ohio State's Cantos/Ratliff (6-4)
- Miami's Noel/Achong def. Turkovic/Spaka (6-4)
- USC's Cayetano/Seig def. Turkovic/Spaka (7-5)
- Morlet/Hanford def. UCF's Mattel/Sharma (7-6)
- Michigan's Miller/Brown def. Morlet/Hanford (6-3)
- Kansas' Ngounoue/Gagoshidze def. Morlet/Hanford (6-3)
- Morlet def. Virginia's Adams (2-6, 7-6, 6-1)
- Kansas' Ngounoue def. Morlet (6-4, 6-3)
- Auburn's Ansari def. Morlet (7-6, 6-4)
- Princeton's Frayman def. Morlet (6-1, 6-2)
- Morlet def. Miami's Pfenning (6-3, 7-6)
- Duke's Morra def. Turkovic (6-4, 6-0)
- Turkovic def. NC State's Rencheli (7-6, 7-6)
- UNC's Tran def. Turkovic (6-2, 6-4)
- Auburn's Arseneault def. Turkovic (6-1, 6-1)
- Miami's Achong def. Turkovic (6-7, 6-1, 10-8)
- UCF's Leslie def. Hanford (7-6, 4-6, 7-5)
- Virginia's Ziodato def. Hanford (3-6, 3-6)
- Tennessee's Aulia def. Hanford (7-6, 6-3)
- Duke's Codd def. Hanford (6-3, 6-3)
- Ohio State's Marzal def. Hanford (6-2, 7-6)
- Spaka def. Ohio State's Marzal (4-6, 6-4, 6-4)
- Kansas' Manu def. Spaka (6-3, 6-4)
- UCF's Sharma def. Spaka (6-4, 6-2)
- Spaka def. Kansas' Massey (6-4, 6-2)
- Kansas' Gagoshidze def. Spaka (6-4, 6-2)
Sedona Gallagher and Marianna Argyrokastriti will head to the Battle in the Bay, hosted by the University of San Francisco. Play will run from September 22-25.
BATTLE OF THE BAY UPDATES
- Thursday, September 22: Argyrokastriti has advanced to the Round of 16 in the singles draw after taking care of University of The Pacific's Alexis Sam (6-2, 2-6, 6-2). Gallagher was defeated in straight sets by Georgia's Dasha Vidmanova (6-0, 6-3). Together in doubles, the duo lost in the opening round of doubles, 8-3, by California State University's Yinglak Jittakoat and Matilde Magrini. The pair was later defeated by Pacific's Main/Same (6-2).
- Friday, September 23: Argyrokastriti dropped her Round of 16 bout with USC's Naomi Cheong in three hard-fought sets (6-3, 4-6, 3-6). Gallagher got the best of both USF's Hannar Gramercy (6-3, 4-6, (10-3)) and The Pacific's Klara Kosan (6-3, 6-3).
- Saturday, September 24: Marianna Argyrokastriti cruised past The Pacific's Arianna Capogrosso (6-0, 6-0) before she lost against USD's Kailey Evans (6-4, 6-4). Gallagher was bested by Colorado's Aya El Sayed before she rebounded to beat Arizona's Kayla Wilkins (7-5, 6-4).
The following week, to wrap up the month of September, Argyrokastriti and Natasha Hill will head to Berkeley for the Cal Invitational, which is scheduled for September 30-October 2.
CAL INVITATIONAL UPDATES
- Friday, September 30: Argyrokastriti and Hill opened doubles play in the Gold bracket with a win over San Francisco's Mushika/Yue (8-6). Later Friday morning, the pair was defeated by Cal's Brown/Thiel (8-6). Hill was bested in her opening round of singles play by UC Davis' Madeleine Page (6-2, 6-1). Argyrokastriti won her first singles match against Cal Poly's Delanie Dunkle in straight sets (6-2, 6-1).
- Saturday, October 1: Argyrokastrit triumphed over Iowa State's Sofia Cabezas in three sets (3-6, 6-1, 6-1) before falling to Stanford's Alexandra Yepifanova (6-1, 6-4). Hill was defeated in the consolation bracket by University of The Pacific's Zara Fung (6-4, 6-2). Hill would later lose to Gonzaga's Caroline Wernli (6-2, 6-2).
Fontenel will also look to play the ITF Austin $25,000, should she qualify for the event, beginning September 26.
ITF AUSTIN $25k UPDATES
- Fontenel was defeated in the first round of the qualifying draw to Kimmi Hance (6-1, 6-3).
Giulia Morlet, Sedona Gallagher, Rachel Hanford, Patricija Spaka and Domenika Turkovic will compete at the ITA All-American Championships, which will be held from October 1-9, in Cary, North Carolina.
ITA ALL-AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP UPDATES
- Saturday, October 1: Gallagher, Hanford and Spaka began singles play on Saturday morning in the pre-qualifying bracket. Gallagher slid past Florida State's Ellie Schoppe (7-5, 6-3) and Spaka emerged victorious in a battle with Penn State's Yvonna Zuffova (6-2, 7-6). Hanford couldn't get past Vanderbilt's Marcella Cruz, as she was halted in straight sets (6-4, 6-0).
- Sunday, October 2: Looking to advance to the pre-qualifying Round of 32, the two remaining Sun Devils were defeated. Gallagher lost to Vanderbilt's Bridget Stammel (6-1, 6-3) and Spaka was bested by Liberty's Maria Juliana Parra Romero in a three-set thriller (6-3, 6-7, 7-5).
- Monday, October 3: Turkovic and Morlet will began play in the qualifying singles bracket, beginning at 7 a.m. MST. Turkovic defeated Vanderbilt's Anessa Lee (6-2, 6-3) before Morlet dropped her match against Miami's Isabell Pfenning (7-5, 6-3). Morlet and Gallagher, alongside each other in the opening round of doubles play, fell to LSU's Carrington/Collins (8-4).
- Tuesday, October 4: Turkovic is on to the Round of 16 in singles after an early win over Alabama's Petra Sedlackova (3-6, 7-6, 6-2). She was bested by UNC Chapel Hill's Anika Yarlagadda later in the afternoon (6-0, 6-1).
- Wednesday, October 5: Spaka and Turkovic, one of the country's top doubles teams a season ago, are through to the Round of 16 in the doubles Main Draw after their win over UNLV's Helgesson/Kovacs (6-2, 6-3).
- Thursday, October 6: Spaka and Turkovic are quarterfinals bound after triumphing in three sets over Fresno State's Jittakoat/Magrini (7-6, 4-6, 10-6).
- Friday, October 7: Semifinals-bound! Spaka and Turkovic are one win away from the final after defeating South Carolina's Akli/Hamner (4-6, 6-3, 10-3).
- Saturday, October 8: Spaka and Turkovic's run in Cary has come to a close after falling to NC State's Nell Miller & Amelia Rajecki (7-6, 2-6, 4-10) in the semis.
ITA REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP UPDATES
- Seven Sun Devils are in San Diego for the ITA Regional Championships, with play slated to begin on Thursday afternoon.
- Thursday, October 20: Sedona Gallagher and Rachel Hanford were victorious in their opening-round doubles match against Cal State Fullerton's Taylor/Olmos (8-4). Domenika Turkovic/Patricija Spaka and Giulia Morlet/Marianna Argyrokastriti have first-round byes and won't begin doubles play until Friday morning. Five Sun Devils picked up wins in the first round of singles play.
- Turkovic def. SDSU's Melosch (6-3, 6-3)
- Gallagher def. Cal State Fullerton's Gevorgyan (6-0, 6-1)
- Morlet def. Hawaii's Homolkova (6-1, 6-4)
- Argyrokastriti def. UC Santa Barbara's Kiss (6-4, 3-6, 6-3)
- Spaka def. UCSD's Chen (6-2, 6-3) and Grand Canyon's Puehse (6-2, 4-6, 6-4)
- Friday, October 21:
- Turkovic def. Narendran (7-5, 7-5) before falling to Hance (6-3, 6-1) in the Round of 16
- Morlet def. Castillo (6-0, 4-6, 6-1) before falling to Charney (6-1, 4-6, 5-7) in the Round of 16
- Gallagher def. USC's Koenig (6-1, 6-4) before falling to Skrobonja (6-4, 6-4) in the Round of 16
- Argyrokastriti def. Catanzarite (7-5, 5-7, 6-3) before falling to Colling (6-7, 1-6) in the Round of 16
- Spaka fell to Miroshnichenko (6-3, 6-3) in the Round of 32
- Gallagher/Hanford lost to USC's Koenig/Lee (8-7) in the Round of 32
- Morlet/Argyrokastrit def. Long Beach State's Tranberg/Becirovic Novak (8-3) to advance to the Round of 16
- Turkovic/Spaka def. Cal State's Zhytelna/Turchak (8-5) to advance to the Round of 16
- Hill was bested in a bonus singles match to Cal State's Zhytelna (6-1, 6-3)
- Hanford was defeated in her bonus singles match to UCLA's Vagramov (6-3, 6-2)
- Saturday, October 22:
- Turkovic/Spaka def. USC's Charney/Lee (8-5) to advance to the quarterfinals. The duo was later bested by UCLA's Wagle/Hance (8-3).
- Morlet/Argyrokastriti def. USC's Piper/Cheong (8-5) to advance to the quarterfinals. Later in the afternoon, they beat USD's Colling/De Las Heras (8-6) for a spot in the semifinals
- Gallagher/Hanford lost in a bonus doubles match to UCLA's Catanzarite/Tian (8-2)
- Hanford lost in a bonus singles match to USD's McBride (6-0, 6-4)
- Gallagher beat UCLA's Catanzarite in a bonus singles match (6-4, 6-7, 12-10)
- Argyrokastriti retired due to injury in her bonus singles match to UCLA's Vagramov, with the final score halted at 1-6, 6-6
- Spaka beat UCLA's Ong in a bonus singles match (6-4, 3-6, 10-7)
- Turkovic lost in a bonus singles match to USD's De Las Heras (6-4, 7-5)
- Hill lost in a bonus singles match to UCLA's Goldberg (6-3, 6-3)
- Sunday, October 23: One of just four doubles teams remaining, Morlet/Argyrokastriti lost to Pepperdine's Broadus/Tjen (6-2, 7-5) in the semis
ITA FALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS UPDATES
- Domenika Turkovic and Patricija Spaka were one of 32 doubles teams selected to compete at the heralded ITA Fall National Championships at the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego
- Wednesday, November 2: The Sun Devil duo was bested in the opening round of doubles by No. 2 seed Fiona Crawley/Carson Tanguilig from North Carolina (7-5, 6-4).
- Thursday, November 3: Now in the consolation bracket, Turkovic and Spaka def. University of Incarnate Word's Brandelyn Fulgenzi/Lauren Fulgenzi (6-3, 3-6, 10-4).
- Friday, November 4: Turkovic/Spaka def. Iowa State's Kajuru/Kezuka (7-5, 6-3) in the consolation quarterfinals.
- Saturday, November 5: Turkovic/Spaka were triumphant in a terrific three-set battle against North Carolina's Maquet/Quiterio (6-4, 4-6, 10-8) to advance to the finals of the consolation bracket.
- Sunday, November 6: Champions! Turkovic/Spaka slide past Cal's Alsola/Wiersholm (6-2, 6-3) to win the Women's Doubles Consolation Draw at the ITA National Fall Championships.
Congratulations to Patricija Spaka and Domenika Turkovic (@sundevilwtennis) for winning the Women's Doubles Consolation Draw at the ITA National Fall Championships! #WeAreCollegeTennis | #FallNats pic.twitter.com/RMXVutppjo
— ITA (@ITA_Tennis) November 6, 2022
This story will be updated with results, notes and numbers from each event the Sun Devils will compete in throughout the fall.
Follow the team's Twitter account, @sundevilwtennis, for additional updates and information.