Sun Devils Drop Match At No. 16 Oregon
EUGENE, Ore. – In the first of two games in the state of Oregon, Sun Devil Volleyball fell to the No. 16 Oregon Ducks in three sets (25-17, 25-15, 25-12) at Matthew Knight Arena on Friday evening.
- Arizona State (7-8, 1-2 Pac-12) struggled against Oregon (9-2, 3-0 Pac-12), falling to 0-3 against ranked teams this season.
- A down night on offense saw Marta Levinska lead the team with nine kills, followed by Iman Isanovic with seven and Geli Cyr with six.
- Levinska had a well-rounded outing, adding six digs and a team-high three blocks to her team-best nine kills.
- Two reached double figures in digs in sophomore libero Jaden Ravnsborg and Isanovic, both with 10.
- Senior Shannon Shields had a team-high 13 assists, splitting duties with Ella Snyder, who had eight.
Set One: Oregon 25, ASU 17
The two teams were close to open the set until the Ducks took the largest lead of four at 12-8 after a 6-2 run. The Sun Devils went on a 3-0 run to negate one of the Ducks' two streaks of their own, getting back within one, down 12-11. However, the home team scored four straight to push the lead to 16-11. A kill from Isanovic made it 23-17, but Oregon scored two in a row to close out the set.
Set Two: Oregon 25, ASU 15
The Sun Devils had a hard time stringing points together to match Oregon's runs. Levinska killed a 3-0 Ducks run, and ASU tied it one final time at nine, as Levinska pitched in with another kill. Four in a row from the Ducks forced a Sun Devil timeout and an Oregon kill put the set at 14-9. Levinska knocked her fourth kill of the set to end a 6-1 run, with Cyr following in between Oregon points to trail 16-13. Oregon stacked three runs of three to top off the second set.
Set Three: Oregon 25, ASU 12
The final set confronted ASU with their most challenging set. Unable to contain the Ducks from stretching the lead they had at 9-6, the Sun Devils were only able to add six more to the set. Up two sets, the Ducks seized the opportunity to close the match, placing six and four unanswered points on the board to put the set out of reach with two final kills between a Cyr kill.
Arizona State will head to Corvallis to take on Oregon State this Sunday at noon MST. It will be on the OSU Live Stream.