Wildcats Return from Intercollegiate Championships
SAN DIEGO - Wildcats found some success in singles and doubles competitions at the Intercollegiate Championships this weekend. Four athletes represented Arizona in the tournament.
Lexi Ryngler and Belen Nevenhoven cruised to the semifinals in doubles play after taking down No. 1 seeded Vanessa Ong and Alexandra Vagramov (UCLA) 6-3 in the quarterfinals. They ultimately fell 6-2 to Vipasha Mehra and Daianne Hayashida (Iowa).
Nevenhoven made it to the round of 16 after receiving a bye in the initial round then defeating Olivia Malm (North Texas) in three sets. She was knocked out by seventh-seeded Claudia De Las Heras (USD) in straight sets 6-0, 6-2.
Women's Tennis heads to the Golden State for two tournaments Oct. 7-9: San Diego Veterans Classic and Women of Troy Tournament in Los Angeles.
Thursday, Sept. 29 (R64)
- McKenna Koenig (USC) def. Lexi Ryngler 6-4, 6-1
- Daianne Hayashida (Iowa) def. Tanvi Narendran 6-3, 7-5
Friday, Sept. 30 (R32 and 16)
- Nevenhoven def. Olivia Malm (North Texas) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Alexandra Vagramov (UCLA) def. Meraz 4-6, 6-2, 7(7)-6(1)
- Claudia De Las Heras (USD) def. Nevenhoven 6-0, 6-2
Friday, Sept. 30 (R16 and QF)
- Nevenhoven/Ryngler def. Alicia Melosch/Andreea Velcea (SDSU) 6-2
- Andjela Skrobonja/Dariya Detkovskaya (SDSU) def. Meraz/Narendran 6-3
- Nevenhoven/Ryngler def. Vanessa Ong and Alexandra Vagramov (UCLA) 6-3
Saturday, Oct. 1 (Semis)
- Vipasha Mehra/Daianne Hayashida (Iowa) def. Nevenhoven/Ryngler 6-2