USC Women's Volleyball Downs No. 17 Ducks for Fifth Straight Win
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (14-4, 6-1 Pac-12) won its fifth straight match on a four-set victory (25-21, 23-25, 25-22, 25-19) over 17th-ranked Oregon (10-5, 4-3) at Galen Center on Friday, Oct. 14.
- Sr. OH Skylar Fields matched her career high with 27 kills (5e, 55att) as she hit .400 to go with a block and two assists. It was Fields' seventh consecutive match with over 20 kills and her ninth 20-plus kill contest this season.
- So. setter Mia Tuaniga dished out 49 assists to go with nine digs, two service aces, three kills, and a solo block.
- Fr. LIB Gala Trubint led all players with 20 digs and had her 18th match in double-digit digs. It was her fourth 20-dig match.
- Fr. OH Jordan Wilson tallied 12 kills (3e, 25att) and hit .360 to go with a block.
- Sr. OPP Emilia Weske had 11 kills (2e, 23att) with a .391 hitting percentage and added a service ace and two digs.
- For the Ducks, Mimi Colyer led with 20 kills (6e, 48att) and a .292 hitting percentage. Brooke Nuneviller put up 13 kills (1e, 33att, .364) and had the double-double with 17 digs. Gloria Mutiri picked up 10 kills (2e, 22att) on .364 hitting.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans out-hit the Ducks, .361 to .333, and out-dug Oregon, 55-49, in the win. USC held a slight 4-3 edge in blocks but posted the 13th match (of 18) with more blocks than its opponent.
- Fields had six of her kills and Trubint and seven of her digs in the first set. The Trojans had four aces (two from Tuaniga) and led by as many as five points at 20-15 and 21-16 before Fields' final kill closed a 25-21 first-set win for USC.
- Oregon grabbed early momentum in the second set, but USC climbed in front by a point at 15-14 and 16-15. The set was tied 10 times before Oregon evened the match with a 25-23 win on Nuneviller's fourth kill of the frame.
- Like it did in the second set, the lead changed hands twice in the third and ended on the Trojans' side of the scoreboard as USC closed out a 25-22 win with a 4-0 run. Fields racked up nine kills and Wilson added five while the Trojan defense posted three blocks to go in front of the Ducks, 2-1.
- Fields went 7-for-10 without an error to power USC's .500 hitting rate in the fourth. Trubint dug up four more balls and Wilson and Weske each added three kills apiece to seal a 25-19 result for the four-set win.
- The Women of Troy welcome in Oregon State (6-11, 1-6 Pac-12) for a noon PT match-up on Sunday (Oct. 16). The Trojans will don pink uniforms as a part of Pink Game festivities to generate awareness for breast cancer research during the month of October. The USC-OSU match will be shown live on Pac-12 Networks and Pac-12 Los Angeles.
- USC improved to 56-18 all-time against Oregon and put a stop to a five-match losing streak to the Ducks, which was UO's longest in the series. All five of those losses were five-setters.
- The Trojans improved to 188-53 all-time at Galen Center. USC is 9-1 in 10 home matches this season.
- All six of USC's Pac-12 victories this season have been in four-set contests.
- USC's five-match win streak equals the longest under head coach Brad Keller. The Trojans also won five straight including the final win of 2021 and the first four of 2022.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.