2020 Colorado Wednesday: USC Returns Home to Face Colorado
Nov 25, 2020
Both the offense and defense look to carry the skills and effort that earned the Trojans a road win against Utah as they prepare to face Colorado this week.
- USC DC Todd Orlando was happy with the defense's performance on Saturday, showing improvement in terms of physicality on the field. "We want to see guys go out there and throw the first punch, and run to the football and hit somebody as hard as they can," Orlando said. "It was good to see those guys just cut it loose and not worry about being exact, and not hesitating."
- With no tape to prepare for this year's Utah team, OC Graham Harrell was surprised by the defensive style that the Trojans faced. He expected to see man-coverage that Utah had used in the past, but was pleased to see the offense adjust.
- QB Kedon Slovis' leadership has helped the team, especially in close situations. "When we needed him the most, he made plays for us," Harrell said. "A lot of that has to do with stepping up as a leader and being a guy that people look to, and being a guy that can rally the team around them."
- Harrell emphasized the need for the offensive line to step up in terms of consistency and using fundamentals and technique to make important plays. He said that the key to their success will be to, "be disciplined enough to do your job the way you're coached to do it, over and over and over."
- Harrell had high praise for offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker. "Alijah's playing as well as I've ever seen an offensive lineman play, there's not enough good things you can say about him," said Harrell. "Committing to the run, and staying with it and believing in it, and understanding that's something that's going to help us all the time is something we've got to do," Harrell said. USC's offense has seen explosive run plays from a variety of RBs this season already, and looks to continue that moving forward.
- Orlando has seen improvement in the defense each week, and this week looks to improve on missed tackles from the first three matchups. "We're going to continue working on that, we've got to be stronger," Orlando said.
- DL Marlon Tuipulotu has been impressive this season, something Orlando is excited to see. "That kid deserves every play that he makes, just based on what type of person he is and the way he works in practice," Orlando said.
- As USC looks towards facing Colorado at home this week, Orlando and the defense know the importance of stopping Colorado's run game. "It all starts with stopping the run game. If you do that, you've got a chance," Orlando said.