Dancy Nominated For Burlsworth Trophy
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Burlsworth Trophy announced Tuesday that Marcel Dancy has been nominated for the 2020 Burlsworth Trophy. Now in its 11th year, the Burlsworth Trophy is given annually to the nation's most outstanding collegiate football player in the Football Bowl Subdivision who began his career as a walk-on and has shown outstanding performance on the field. Each nominee must have begun his first season of FBS participation without financial aid of any kind from his university's athletic department.
The Burlsworth Trophy is named in honor of Brandon Burlsworth, who walked on to the Arkansas football team in 1994 and eventually became a three-year starter and 1998 All-American. Burlsworth was selected as the 63rd overall pick by the Indianapolis Colts in the third round of the 1999 NFL Draft but was tragically killed in a car accident 11 days later. The Burlsworth Foundation was created in his memory and supports the physical and spiritual needs of children, in particular those who have limited opportunities. Burlworth's life is also the subject of the major motion picture "Greater" released in 2016.
"A college football walk-on faces an uphill battle from the very beginning," said Marty Burlsworth, President and CEO of the Burlsworth Trophy and older brother of Brandon. "He has to prove himself to his coaches and teammates. He has to prove that he belongs. Beginning your college football career as a walk-on isn't for everyone. It takes a tremendous work ethic and a great deal of determination. You have to want it! This group of Burlsworth Trophy nominees has proven to the college football world that they not only belong but can excel at the highest level of the game."
The Burlsworth Trophy will host an awards ceremony virtually on January 4, 2021 to honor three finalists and announce the 2020 winner. Former Cal and current NFL players Patrick Laird and Ashtyn Davis have previously been among three finalists for the honor and attended the annual ceremony in person in 2018 and 2019, respectively.
To all my young brothers and sisters of all nationalities, I'm living proof that you can achieve your dreams if you put your heart and mind into it. So I'm going to keep on dreaming, and I want you to do the same. A big s/o to @CalFootball and @BurlsworthTrust for the nomination. https://t.co/IBFTkAKzg4
— Marcel Dancy (@Mufasa23x) December 8, 2020
Below are notes on Dancy including his with an extended bio available by clicking on his name.
Marcel Dancy, RB, 5-10, 195, Sr., 1L, Oakland, CA (Laney College/West HS)
– Selected to the prestigious Allstate AFCA Good Works Team® as a 2019 junior for his volunteer work with the Oakland Dynamites Youth Football and Cheer squad, while representing Cal in the team's appearance at the AllState Sugar Bowl
– One of two Cal players to win a team-high-tying two team awards as the recipient of a Stub Allison Award for his commitment to strength and conditioning and the Ted Agu Award for being the most consistently involved in community service
– Spent one season as a walk-on at Cal during his 2018 true junior campaign before earning a scholarship prior to the beginning of his 2019 redshirt junior season
– Helped raise approximately $10,000 for a grocery giveaway for Burckhalter Elementary School in Oakland shortly after the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic
– Has played in 20 career games with three starts since his arrival at Cal in the fall of 2018 with two of those starts coming as a 2020 senior
– Has contributed 102 rushes for 485 yards with three touchdowns on the ground while adding 31 receptions for 236 yards and two kick returns for 36 yards to total 757 all-purpose yards
– Has three career games of more than 70 yards rushing with one each campaign vs. Idaho State as a 2018 junior (80 yards), at Washington as a 2019 junior (72 yards) and at Oregon State as a 2020 senior (76 yards)