Arizona Cruises to Another Home Victory
TUCSON, Ariz. - Arizona completed its third sweep of the season Saturday afternoon against Florida Atlantic with a score of 7-0.
The Cats won every doubles match to start the day which keeps their doubles dominance intact, winning every doubles point this season. The momentum rolled over into singles, where some Arizona history was made as senior Alejandro Reguant tied Wildcat star Roger Matalonga for the most overall singles wins in program history. "It is obviously a very good feeling," Reguant said after the match, "Especially to tie another person from Catalan (Catalonia), it means a lot to me, but we are just trying to win as a team and I will do whatever it takes. Hopefully everyone can break that record one day."
No. 50 Jonas Ziverts got his first ranked win with a crushing performance on Court 1 against No. 122 Lapraille, along with another strong performance by No. 105 Strom to perserve his undefeated streak at 4-0 for both singles and doubles. Clancy Shields said this after the match, "It's a good win today. We knew FAU was good... to come out with a 7-0, we are really happy and we've got a lot to get better at too." He continued to point down the schedule to another Top 25 team in No. 22 Pepperdine, "We need to be firing on all cylinders next week."
1. Ziverts/Middleton (ARIZ) def. Lapraille/Krolo (FAU) 7-5
2. Hassey/Reguant (ARIZ) def. Fernandez Horta/Huempfner (FAU) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Malbasic/Strom (ARIZ) def. Escandell/Stodder (FAU) 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 50 Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ) def. No. 122 Maxime Lapraille (FAU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) def. Filip Krolo (FAU) 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 105 Gustaf Strom (ARIZ) def. A Fernandez Horta (FAU) 6-1, 6-0
4. No. 54 Filip Malbasic (ARIZ) def. Kevin Huempfner (FAU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Carlos Hassey (ARIZ) def. Gerard Excandell (FAU) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) def. Finn Stodder (FAU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2, 4, 6, 5