Oregon State Set for First Game at Idaho
CORVALLIS, Ore. - The Beavers women's soccer team will head on the road for its first game on the season, Friday.
Oregon State at Idaho
DATE: Friday, February 5
TIME: 11:30 AM PST
SITE: Kibbie-Asui Activity Center - Moscow, Idaho
RECORDS: Oregon State 0-0, 0-0 Pac-12; Idaho 0-0, 0-0 Big Sky
SERIES RECORD: Oregon State leads, 6-0-1
Oregon State notes
ABOUT THE BEAVERS
• Oregon State will host seven home games in Corvallis.
• OSU returns 10 starters from 2019.
• The Beavers are scheduled to face five opponents currently ranked in the top 25 on Top Drawer Soccer, including two in the top five.
• Two players earned All-Pac-12 honors following the 2019 season, both of which will be returning (Weinert - third team, McReynolds - freshman team).
• Oregon State placed nine players on the Pac-12 Fall Honor Roll, including seven players that will be returning to the squad this season (Deane, Ellsworth, Fried, Gorzynski, Nickerson, Skiba, Weinert).
• OSU posted a final record of 11-6-2 and a 3-6-2 conference record.
• As a sophomore, Bridgette Skiba recorded 69 saves on the season, which was the sixth-most in the Pac-12.
• Skiba posted all seven shutouts for the Beavers.
• Five players started every game on the season - Madison Ellsworth, Marley Salveter, Bridgette Skiba, Sydney Studer, and McKenzie Weinert.
• Studder (1768) and Ellsworth (1756) led the team in playing minutes on the 2019 season.
• McKenzie Weinert led the Beavers with 21 points and nine goals.
• Brianna McReynolds led OSU with five assists.
• Six Beavers return after scoring at least one goal last season - Conrad (2), Fried (2), McReynolds (5), Schwartz (5), Studer (3), Weinert (9).
• 13 returning players competed in at least 13 games on the 2019 season.
• The Beavers have two seniors on the 2020-21 squad - Kaillen Fried and Nicole Nickerson.
• There were 13 additions to the team with the arrivals of one transfer, Melissa Symmes, and 12 freshmen - Jazy Campbell, Hailey Coll, Isobel Herrod, Amber Jackson, Gwen Jacobs, Bryana Pizarro, Aubrie Rasheed, Haley Richardson, Alyssa Romero, Valerie Tobias, Anna Wagner, Gaelle Wells.
• 14 of the returning soccer players competed in at least one game in the last season.
• OSU has 10 players that hail from Oregon - Fried (Sherwood), Weinert (Milwaukie), Gorzynski (Corvallis), Skiba (Portland), Ellsworth (Hillsboro), Brown (Happy Valley), Conrad (West Linn), Tetz (Happy Valley), Salveter (Sandy), Coll (Eugene).
• The Beavers have two teammates from outside the United States - Laura Galceran (Barcelona, Spain) and Abby Schwartz (Port Moody, British Columbia).
• Outside of the Oregon, the team has 17 players that represent seven different states. California is the most represented with 11 players while Indiana, Minnesota, New York, Texas, Virginia, and Washington all hold one player's hometown.
• The Vandals finished the 2019 season with a 5-12-2 record.
• Idaho graduated four seniors and one graduate student in 2020.
• The Vandals welcomed 10 newcomers to the 2020 squad with three players returning to the roster after red-shirting their freshman year.
AGAINST THE VANDALS
• Oregon State leads the all-time series, 6-0-1 .
• The Beavers last played against the Vandals in 2019. Though Idaho scored the first goal in Corvallis, Oregon State ended up winning 2-1. Kaillen Fried scored the game-winning goal while earning an assist on the first Beaver goal. Sophie Conrad scored the first goal and McKenzie Weinert assisted the game-winning goal.
ABOUT HEAD COACH MATT KAGAN
• The 2020-21 season is Matt Kagan's second year coaching at Oregon State.
• In his first season as head coach of the Beavers, Kagan improved OSU from a 2-17 record with a 1-10 conference record in 2018 to an 11-6-2, 3-6-2 finish in 2019.
• Kagan joined Oregon State after spending two years with Mississippi State as the associate head coach. In his first season at MSU, the Bulldogs were coached to the best record the program has finished with in 16 years.
• Kagan has been a member of nine coaching staffs that have led teams to the NCAA Tournament - three of those teams have advanced to the Sweet 16.
• After opening the season at Idaho, the Beavers will head to Portland for a second road game on Feb. 13.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).