No. 20 USC Lacrosse Opens Pac-12 Play in Bay Area Battles
LOS ANGELES – 20th-ranked USC (2-2, 0-0 Pac-12) heads to the Bay Area to open the 2021 Pac-12 schedule at California (1-2, 0-0) and No. 21 Stanford (1-0, 0-0) this weekend. The Women of Troy visit the Golden Bears on Friday (March 12) with first draw set for 5 p.m. PT at California Memorial Stadium. The Trojans then take on the Cardinal at Stanford Stadium on Sunday (March 14) at 2 p.m. PT. The USC-Stanford game will be shown live on Pac-12 Networks. Stanford will later serve as the site of the 2021 Pac-12 Lacrosse Championship.
USC is 10-3 all-time in games played in the Bay Area, which includes several contests in Moraga, Calif., against Saint Mary's College. The Trojans' three losses have each come at the hands of the Cardinal (2013, '15, '18) but USC rides a 10-game winning streak against the Bears and a three-game streak against Stanford into this Northern California visit.
Through four games, senior attacker Sophia Donovan leads the team with 13 points and 10 goals. Senior attacker Izzy McMahon has tallied five assists and senior captain and midfielder Kelsey Huff has seven goals including her 16th-career hat trick last week. In the center circle, graduate transfer attacker Maddie McDaniel has pulled in 39 draw controls including a season-best 15 against SDSU to open the year. Defensively, senior Lizzy Wagner leads field players with six ground balls. In goal, preseason ILWomen All-American senior goalie Riley Hertford has put up 40 saves and has team highs of 11 ground balls and five caused turnovers.
GAME #5 • Friday, March 12 • 5 p.m. PT
No. 20 USC (2-2, 0-0) at California (1-2, 0-0)
California Memorial Stadium • Berkeley, Calif.
SERIES HISTORY: USC leads, 10-1 (.909) • STREAK: W10
LAST MEETING: W, 16-9 (Mar. 8, 2020 • McAlister Field)
OPPONENT WEB: CalBears.com
GAME #6 • Sunday, March 14 • 2 p.m. PT
No. 20 USC (2-2, 0-0) at No. 21 Stanford (1-0, 0-0)
Stanford Stadium • Stanford, Calif.
SERIES HISTORY: USC leads, 8-6 (.571) • STREAK: W3
LAST MEETING: W, 13-12 (Mar. 6, 2020 • McAlister Field)
TV/STREAM: Pac-12 Networks
OPPONENT WEB: GoStanford.com
- USC is ranked No. 20 in the IWLCA coaches poll; the 62nd consecutive week that the Trojans are ranked in the poll.
- The Trojans are the defending Pac-12 champion and were chosen to finish in a tie for first by the league's coaches.
- The Women of Troy are 8-0 all-time in league openers with a 2-0 record when the league opener is played on the road.
- USC is 10-3 all-time in games played in the Bay Area including at Moraga, Calif. (Saint Mary's College). All three losses are to Stanford (2013, 2015, 2018).
- Sr. goalie Riley Hertford was chosen for Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week (March 8) for a league-record sixth time in her career.
- USC has scored 20 goals twice this season. That total equals the seventh highest in a single game in program history; achieved seven other times previously.
- Ninth-year head coach Lindsey Munday is 103-44 all-time (.701) and was named the 2019 Pac-12 Coach of the Year.
NOTE: All home USC women's lacrosse competitions will be conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines, available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's lacrosse team, a complete schedule, and results, please visit USCTrojans.com. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow the team on Instagram and on Twitter @USCTrojansLax.