Beavers Set For Rivalry Matchup at Home
Oregon State notes | Oregon notes | Live Stats | Live Stream
CORVALLIS, Ore. - The Oregon State women's soccer team will host its mid-season rivalry series matchup against Oregon on Friday, March 19.
Oregon at Oregon State
DATE: Friday, March 19
TIME: 4:00 PM PST
SITE: Paul Lorenz Field - Corvallis, Ore.
RECORDS: Oregon State 2-6, 0-5 Pac-12; Oregon 3-3-2, 2-2-1 Pac-12
SERIES RECORD: Oregon State leads, 14-10-4
STREAM: Pac-12 Network
*records as of 3/15/21
The match against Oregon will air live on Pac-12 Network and Pac-12 Oregon with Ann Schatz on the call. Fans with subscriptions to the network can also watch the meet on Pac-12.com, or via the Pac-12 Now app.
Oregon State notes | Oregon notes
ABOUT THE BEAVERS
• Oregon State is currently 2-6 on the season with a 0-5 Pac-12 record.
• The Beavers opened the season with a 3-0 win at Idaho. In a non-league game, OSU beat No. 3 Stanford, 2-1, on Feb. 28.
• OSU's six losses on the season come from a 4-3 loss at Portland (2/10), a 3-1 loss against No. 14 California (2/26), a 2-0 loss at No. 13 USC (3/5), a 2-1 fall in overtime to No. 3 UCLA (3/7), a 3-1 loss to Arizona (3/12), and a 1-0 fall in overtime to No. 24 Arizona State (3/14).
• Sophomore Brianna McReynolds leads the team with 10 points on four goals and two assists.
• Senior Kaillen Fried leads the team's assists with five, all of which come from corner kicks for set-piece goals.
• Sophomore Abby Schwartz and McReynolds have combined for a goal on three different occasions, including the lone goal against the Golden Bears and the game-winning goal against the Cardinal.
• Junior goalkeeper Bridgette Skiba leads those in goal with a 1.99 goals-against average and a 0.619 save percentage in 723:12.
LAST WEEK IN REVIEW
• The Beavers opened the weekend against Arizona on Friday, March 12. Redshirt-senior Nicole Nickerson scored the lone goal against the Wildcats. She was assisted by senior Kaillen Fried in the set-piece goal.
• On Sunday, March 14, Oregon State dominated the first half, outshooting No. 24 Arizona State, 9-1. The second half saw a bit more offense by the Sun Devils but the Beavers still outperformed them with six shots to four. Holding ASU to a tie in regulation, OSU fell 1-0 in overtime.
• Redshirt-senior Nicole Nickerson scored her first career goal against Arizona.
OREGON STATE 2020 PREVIEW
• Oregon State will host seven home games in Corvallis.
• OSU returns 10 starters from 2019.
• The Beavers are scheduled to face five opponents currently ranked in the top 25 on Top Drawer Soccer, including two in the top five.
• Two players earned All-Pac-12 honors following the 2019 season, both of which will be returning (Weinert - third team, McReynolds - freshman team).
• Oregon State placed nine players on the Pac-12 Fall Honor Roll, including seven players that will be returning to the squad this season (Deane, Ellsworth, Fried, Gorzynski, Nickerson, Skiba, Weinert).
PAC-12 TEAM RANKINGS
As of March 15, Oregon State ranks:
• T-3rd; 27 total saves
• T-5th; 11 total assists
• 6th; .128 shot percentage
• T-6th; 11 total goals
PAC-12 INDIVIDUAL RANKINGS
• T-3rd; 0.63 assists per game
• T-8th; 1.25 points per game
• T-7th; 0.50 goals per game
• T-12th; 2.50 shots per game
• T-20th; 0.29 assists per game
• T-3rd; 3.25 saves per game
• T-93th; 0.38 goals per game
OREGON STATE CAREER RECORDS
• Ranks 7th in solo shutouts (7); tied with Dinah Marsh (1990-92) … Needs one more to tie Jo Fletcher (2001-02) for sixth place.
• Ranks 8th in saves (172) … Needs 16 more to tie Sammy Jo Prudhoome (2012-13) for seventh place.
OREGON STATE SEASON RECORDS
• Needs one more assist to be tied for eighth (6) with many other players, most recently Megan Miller (2012).
• Oregon is 3-3-2 overall with a 2-2-1 Pac-12 record.
• The Ducks have wins over Gonzaga (2/7), Stanford (2/26), and Arizona (3/14) with losses to California (2/28), UCLA (3/5), and USC (3/7) and ties against Sacramento State (2/19) and Arizona State (3/14).
• Ally Cook leads the team with five points from two goals and one assist.
• Six different players have scored a goal with seven different players assisting on those goals.
• Leah Freeman has played in all of the Ducks' competitions. In 760 minutes, she has a .95 goals against average and a .771 save percentage.
AGAINST THE DUCKS
• Oregon leads the all-time series, 14-10-4.
• In their last meeting in 2019, the Beavers beat the Ducks, 1-0. Paula Leblic scored the solo goal, unassisted.
A LOOK BACK AT 2019
• OSU posted a final record of 11-6-2 and a 3-6-2 conference record.
• As a sophomore, Bridgette Skiba recorded 69 saves on the season, which was the sixth-most in the Pac-12.
• Skiba posted all seven shutouts for the Beavers.
• Five players started every game on the season - Madison Ellsworth, Marley Salveter, Bridgette Skiba, Sydney Studer, and McKenzie Weinert.
• Studer (1768) and Ellsworth (1756) led the team in playing minutes on the 2019 season.
• McKenzie Weinert led the Beavers with 21 points and nine goals.
• Brianna McReynolds led OSU with five assists.
• Six Beavers return after scoring at least one goal last season - Conrad (2), Fried (2), McReynolds (5), Schwartz (5), Studer (3), Weinert (9).
• 13 returning players competed in at least 13 games on the 2019 season.
• The Beavers have two seniors on the 2020-21 squad - Kaillen Fried and Nicole Nickerson.
• There were 13 additions to the team with the arrivals of one transfer, Melissa Symmes, and 12 freshmen - Jazy Campbell, Hailey Coll, Isobel Herrod, Amber Jackson, Gwen Jacobs, Bryana Pizarro, Aubrie Rasheed, Haley Richardson, Alyssa Romero, Valerie Tobias, Anna Wagner, Gaelle Wells.
• 14 of the returning soccer players competed in at least one game in the last season.
• OSU has 10 players that hail from Oregon - Fried (Sherwood), Weinert (Milwaukie), Gorzynski (Corvallis), Skiba (Portland), Ellsworth (Hillsboro), Brown (Happy Valley), Conrad (West Linn), Tetz (Happy Valley), Salveter (Sandy), Coll (Eugene).
• The Beavers have two teammates from outside the United States - Laura Galceran (Barcelona, Spain) and Abby Schwartz (Port Moody, British Columbia).
• Outside of Oregon, the team has 17 players that represent seven different states. California is the most represented with 11 players while Indiana, Minnesota, New York, Texas, Virginia, and Washington all hold one player's hometown.
ABOUT HEAD COACH MATT KAGAN
• The 2020-21 season is Matt Kagan's second year coaching at Oregon State.
• In his first season as head coach of the Beavers, Kagan improved OSU from a 2-17 record with a 1-10 conference record in 2018 to an 11-6-2, 3-6-2 finish in 2019.
• Kagan joined Oregon State after spending two years with Mississippi State as the associate head coach. In his first season at MSU, the Bulldogs had the best program record in 16 years.
• Kagan has been a member of nine coaching staffs that have led teams to the NCAA Tournament - three of those teams have advanced to the Sweet 16.
• After the first rivalry matchup of the season, the Beavers will head to the Golden State to face Stanford (Mar. 26) and California (Mar. 28). Stanford's game will be a conference match while California's game will not be a conference competition.
The Rivalry Series is presented by Safeway-Albertsons, Spirit Mountain Casino, PacificSource Health Plans, Your Local Toyota Dealers and First Interstate Bank.
For more information on the Oregon State women's soccer team, visit OSUBeavers.com or follow the club on Twitter and Instagram, @BeaverWSoccer.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).