No. 4 UCLA Sweeps Oregon, 5-0
TUCSON, Ariz. -- No. 4 UCLA (11-1) posted its fourth-straight 5-0 sweep and seventh of the season without dropping a set in a win over Oregon (2-6) on Sunday morning at the Pac-12 South Invitational at Bear Down Beach. With the win, the Bruins improve to 4-0 all-time against the Ducks.
Rileigh Powers and Jaden Whitmarsh were the first to finish on court five with an easy 21-5, 21-7 win over Oregon's Batia Rotshtein and Delaney Hopen. Powers and Whitmarsh improved to 8-2 on the year with their sixth-straight victory.
Court one's Lexy Denaburg and Savvy Simo defeated the Ducks' Carly Wallace and Anastasia Lima, 21-14, 21-8 to put the Bruins up 2-0. Denaburg and Simo improved to 11-1 on the year with their eighth-straight win.
Devon Newberry and Lindsey Sparks clinched the dual win on court three with a 21-10, 21-14 straight-set win over Josie Cole and Zoe Almanza. Newberry and Sparks improved to 9-1 on the year with their sixth-consecutive victory.
Lea Monkhouse and Abby Van Winkle then made it 4-0 with an easy 21-13, 21-7 victory over Oregon's Madelyn LaFollette and Vivian Donovan on court two. Monkhouse and Van Winkle improved to 6-2 on the year with their fourth-straight win.
Megan Muret and Jacqueline Quade then completed the sweep with a 21-17, 21-13 straight-set win over Oregon's Bea Wetton and Ashley Schroeder on court four. Muret and Quade improved to 10-2 on the year with their eighth-straight win.
The Bruins return to action on Saturday, April 3, when they host No. 3 LSU for the first time on campus at Mapes Beach at 10:00 a.m. PT.
No. 4 UCLA def. Oregon, 5-0
Bear Down Beach • Tucson, Ariz.
Sunday, March 28, 2021
RECORDS: UCLA (11-1), Oregon (2-6)
1. Savvy Simo/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) def. Carly Wallace/Anastasia Lima (ORE); 21-14, 21-8
2. Abby Van Winkle/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) def. Madelyn LaFollette/Vivian Donovan (ORE); 21-13, 21-7
3. Devon Newberry/Lindsey Sparks (UCLA) def. Josie Cole/Zoe Almanza (ORE); 21-10, 21-14
4. Megan Muret/Jacqueline Quade (UCLA) def. Bea Wetton/Ashley Schroeder (ORE); 21-17, 21-13
5. Rileigh Powers/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Batia Rotshtein/Delaney Hopen (ORE); 21-5, 21-7
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3*, 2, 4