Ducks Drop Weekend Opener at UCLA
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The Oregon men's tennis team opened its weekend on the road with a 5-2 loss at No. 36 UCLA on Friday afternoon. The setback snapped the Ducks' five-match winning streak. Oregon is now 13-3 overall with a 1-3 mark in Pac-12 play.
How it Happened: For the 13th time in 16 matches, the Ducks claimed the doubles point with the No. 2 UO pair of Emmanuel Coste and Jesper Klöv-Nilsson clinching the early match lead. Oregon got on the board first with a 6-3 win at the top spot from Joshua Charlton and Quinn Vandecasteele. UCLA (9-3, 3-1 Pac-12) got a doubles win at No. 3 to even things up.
With all eyes on court two, the Ducks came out on top with a 6-4 win by Coste and Klöv-Nilsson. The duo improves to 11-3 this season, including a 3-0 mark playing up at the No. 2 spot.
The home team responded with four-consecutive wins in doubles play, taking the dual with victories at No. 5, 2, 6 and 3, respectively. The Bruins went on to claim their fifth point with a win at No. 1 singles before Oregon grabbed another point in the final match of the day.
Klöv-Nilsson recorded his team-leading 13th match in singles play, posting a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Ben Goldberg at No. 4 singles. The UO sophomore is now 13-1 this season with a five-match winning streak.
Up Next: The Ducks remain in Los Angeles for Saturday's match against No. 16 USC. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m. (PT). Oregon's next home match is April 16 against Stanford.
#36 UCLA 5, #49 Oregon 2
1. Charlton/Q. Vandecasteele (ORE) d. Pereira/Smith (UCLA) – 6-3
2. Coste/Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Baird/Nanda (UCLA) – 6-4
3. Bellamy/Tsolakyan (UCLA) d. Lam/Matsushita (ORE) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. #48 Keegan Smith (UCLA) d. Joshua Charlton (ORE) – 7-6(6), 6-1
2. #116 Govind Nanda (UCLA) d. #91 Emmanuel Coste (ORE) – 6-2, 6-2
3. #81 Drew Baird (UCLA) d. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) – 6-4, 6-4
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (ORE) d. Ben Goldberg (UCLA) – 6-1, 7-5
5. Sam Felt (UCLA) d. Brandon Lam (ORE) – 6-2, 6-3
6. Matthew Tsolakyan (UCLA) d. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) – 7-6(1), 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6, 3*, 1, 4
* - clincher
For more news and information about the Ducks, follow @OregonMTennis on Instagram and Twitter, and @OregonMensTennis on Facebook.