USC Women’s Volleyball Sweeps Colorado
LOS ANGELES – The USC women's volleyball team (7-8, 7-8 Pac-12) won its fourth consecutive match on a 3-0 sweep (25-20, 25-16, 26-24) of Colorado (8-12, 8-12) at Galen Center on Saturday, April 3.
- Sr. OH Brooke Botkin posted her 28th-career double-double (10th of the season) on 10 kills with 11 digs and added three service aces and a block.
- So. OPP Emilia Weske scored on 11 kills (1e, 20att) and hit .500 to go with two blocks.
- Jr. OH Brooklyn Schirmer led the Trojans with 14 kills and had six digs and a block.
- Jr. setter Raquel Lázaro earned her seventh double-double of the season (39th career) with 38 assists and 13 digs to go with two service aces, a kill, and a block.
- So. MB Aleksandra Gryka racked up 11 points with eight kills (2e, 12att, .500), four blocks, and a service ace.
- Sr. MB Candice Denny added three service aces, four kills, and two blocks (one solo).
- So. LIB Sophia Theriot had 11 digs with six assists.
- For Colorado, Sterling Parker had nine kills without an error (19e, .474) to lead the offense. Brynna DeLuzio had 10 digs. Jenna Ewert had 19 assists to go with seven digs and two kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans earned their first 3-0 sweep of the season by outhitting the Buffaloes, .218 to .151 and had the edge in service aces, 9-2, and a big advantage on the defensive end with 48 digs to CU's 33.
- Through 12 ties, USC and Colorado battled in the first set, but the Trojans pulled away to take a four-point lead at 23-19 on Botkin's fifth kill of the frame. Lázaro served up an ace to close out a 25-20 win.
- USC was in control for nearly the entire second set and came away with a 25-16 win. The Trojans hit .464 with 15 kills and just two errors on 28 attacks. Schirmer collected six of her kills in the set as USC held CU to just nine kills.
- The Trojans grabbed match point at 24-21, but the Buffaloes fought back and knotted the score at 24-all. Botkin's kill and a block by Weske and Gryka ended the match, 26-24, for the Women of Troy. The teams each hit sub-.100 in the third set, but the Trojans had six service aces to seal the deal.
- USC improved to 20-1 all-time against Colorado and to 11-0 in home matches with CU. It was the Trojans' sixth straight win over the Buffaloes.
- The Trojans earned their second home win of the season to improve to 2-3 in five contests at Galen Center. It was the 171st win all-time at Galen Center for USC (171-45).
This season (2020-21), the Pac-12 played a 22-match Conference-only schedule as its 2020 season, which began on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. All volleyball competitions were conducted in accordance with the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee health and safety recommendations and guidelines available at Pac-12.com/health.
For more information on the USC women's volleyball team and a complete schedule and results, please visit USCTrojans.com/WVB. Fans of the Women of Troy can follow @USCWomensVolley on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.