Rivlary Game Slated Under Friday Night Lights
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona State soccer team (8-4-2, 4-3-2) concludes its 2020-21 regular season schedule as host to in-state rival Arizona on Friday night at 8 p.m. MST at Sun Devil Stadium.
The rivals met earlier in the season for a non-conference match. Friday night's game is slated to count toward each team's conference record and standing.
For the final game on home turf, the Pac-12 Conference approved ASU's request to open the stadium to the school's band and student section. The Sun Devils and Wildcats will battle in front of 100 ASU band members and the Inferno with 200-300 students.
Fans can purchase tickets at the northeast gate of Sun Devil Stadium. All in attendance are still required to wear a face mask per Arizona State University's COVID-19 guidelines.
If the game could be deduced to a comparison of numbers, the two squads would match up well. Both boast a top-four scoring offense in the Pac-12 and have scored over 20 goals each this season. With more games under their belt, the Sun Devils outrank the Wildcats in W-L-T percentage, points per game, and assists per game. ASU also tallied a higher shot accuracy which ranks first in the Pac-12 and 75th nationally at 0.505. On the other side of the field, the two share the same goals against average at 0.810.
This season due to the uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Pac-12 Conference decided to determine the conference standings based on points per game.
SUN DEVIL REWIND
ASU is looking to finish its Lemonade Year on a high note as host to UArizona this weekend.
Last week, the Sun Devils traveled to Utah and Colorado for the final Pac-12 road trip. Despite two hard-fought battles, ASU suffered two losses.
SHOW ME THE FACTS
- ASU is in the top-three in all major statistical categories: assists per game, PPG, scoring offense, saves per game, shutout percentage, and total points.
- The squad boasts accurate, offensive prowess, leading the Pac-12 Conference with a .505 shot accuracy.
- Nicole Douglas continues to lead the team in game-winning goals (3), goals per game (.57), points per game (1.36), shot accuracy (.549), shots per game (3.64), shots on goal per game (2.00), total goals (8), and total points (19).
- Giulia Cascapera's 45 saves this season is eighth in the conference.
- Alexia Delgado's six assists leads the team and is tied for second in the Pac-12.
- If they touch the pitch in Friday's match, Jessica Hale will have played 47 games in her career as a Sun Devil. Olive Jones will notch her 64th career game, and Lara Barbieri could collect her 14th. All three seniors have decided to return next season.