McKay Johnson, Trey Knight, Joy McArthur Post USC Track & Field Top-10 Marks In Wins At Beach Invitational
Joy McArthur and Trey Knight in the hammer throw and McKay Johnson in the shot put all won events with USC all-time top 10 marks and Isaiah Jewett won the men's 1500m race with a personal-best time to lead the Trojans during the first day of the annual Beach Invitational held at Jack Rose Track in Long Beach, Calif. today (April 16).
- McKay Johnson and Matthew Katnik put on a show in the men's shot put, finishing first and second by more than two meters over the field. Johnson had an outdoor PR of 65-5.50 (19.95m) to win and move from sixth to fifth on USC's all-time list. He also moved into third on this season's NCAA descending order list. Katnik, who dropped from 5th to 6th on USC's all-time shot put list, had a strong throw of 64-7.00 (19.68m) to place second.
- Also taking first and second in impressive fashion were Trey Knight and Nathan Bultman in the men's hammer throw, with both athletes posting PRs. Knight won with a PR of 226-9 (69.11m) to move into 8th on USC's all-time list. He also moves into 10th on the 2021 NCAA descending order list. Bultman had a slight PR of 221-6 (67.51m) which sits 11th on USC's all-time hammer throw list. Christian Johnson finished fourth in the even with a throw of 189-6 (57.78m).
- Another pair taking first and second in a throwing event with big PRs were Joy McArthur and Karlee Freeman in the women's hammer throw. McArthur's series included four marks better than her previous career best, concluding in the final round with a PR of 214-8 (65.43m). That mark moved her from 8th to 5th on USC's all-time list and ranks 15th nationally this season. Freeman had three throws better than her previous career best, with her PR of 193-3 (58.90m) coming in the fourth round.
- Jewett won the men's 1500m race with a PR of 3:57.70 to close out the day's action for the Trojans. Jewett won the event by 7.61 seconds over the second-place finisher. John Dempsey finished fifth with a time of 4:08.62.
- Jack Carter took second in the men's 800m race with a time of 1:55.16.
- Dylan Lange finished fourth in the men's javelin throw with a best mark of 147-11 (45.09m).
- Jennifer Daly ran her collegiate 800m best of 2:13.75 to finish fifth and Abygail Paez had a time of 2:15.70 to finish seventh in the women's 800m race.
- Freeman had fouls in her first two women's discus throw attempts and her third-round throw of 112-0 (34.13m) finished 12th overall.