Arizona Sweeps Utah to Advance
SAN DIEGO Calif. - No. 19 Arizona gets revenge for their regular season loss by sweeping Utah 4-0 in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament.
The Wildcats came out strong in doubles with Nick Lagaev and Gustaf Strom clinching the doubles point on court three. Arizona continued to ride that momentum to three straight set wins to clinch the match. Filip Malbasic powered through his opponent to bring his season total to 14 singles wins. No. 26 Gustaf Strom earned his 17th singles win of the season and Herman Hoeyeraal continued his undefeated singles streak to clinch the win for Arizona.
The matchup for the semifinals will be a rematch with No. 15 USC. The Wildcats took down USC at home for their third win in program history over the Trojans with a 4-3 win. The third seed USC took down Oregon 4-1 in the first round to meet the Wildcats.
The match will take place Sunday, Apr. 25 at 3 p.m MST.
1. Ziverts/Hassey def. Bastias/Shainyan 6-3
2. Reguant/Malbasic vs. Capalbo/Flores 5-4 unf.
3. Lagaev/Strom def. Busleiman/Gavelin 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. No. 26 Gustaf Strom def. Franco Capalbo 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 76 Jonas Ziverts vs. Geronimo Busleiman 5-7, 3-4 unf.
3. Filip Malbasic def. Slava Shainyan 6-1, 6-3
4. Alejandro Reguant vs. Fransisco Bastias 6-3, 3-4 unf.
5. Herman Hoeyeraal def. Mathias Gavelin 6-4, 7-6(4)
6. Nick Lagaev vs. Bruno Krenn 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 unf.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5