Softball Earns 8-0 Run-Rule Win over Weber State
SALT LAKE CITY – Alyssa Barrera and Haley Denning each went 3-3 and Sydney Sandez pitched four innings of one-hit ball with three strikeouts to lead the Utah softball team to five-inning 8-0 run-rule victory over visiting Weber State on Tuesday at Dumke Family Stadium.
Sydney Sandez is now 11-8 on the season as Utah improves to 20-27. Weber State is now 23-16. Halle Morris came on in relief to pitch the final inning, and combined with Sandez to hold Weber State to two hits for the game.
The Utes scored three runs in each of the first two innings to take a 6-0 lead. The big hit in the second inning came off the bat of Barrera, who brought in two runs when she lined a shot to the wall in right center for a triple, and came in to score on a fielding miscue.
Utah added two more runs in the fourth inning to increase the lead to 8-0, the first on an infield single by Julia Noskin to score Denning, and the second on a sacrifice fly to left field to score Noskin.
Alyssa Barrera and Haley Denning combined to go 6-6 at the plate with four runs scored and two RBI.
Head Coach Amy Hogue
"We really took care of business today. Right from the start Syd was hitting spots, the defense was picking it up and throwing it to first, and our hitters committed to the plan at the plate. It was a fun day for us and I'm proud of this team for putting together a complete game shutout today."
RBI triple by @alyssavb16, and she comes in to score on a defensive miscue!
Third triple of the year for AB!
Weber St. 0
— Utah Softball ?? (@Utah_Softball) May 5, 2021
- Haley Denning stole two bases to increase her Pac-12-leading total to 31 on the season (in 34 attempts), most by a Utah player since 2001 (Molly McLean, 37-46).
- Denning scored three runs today to increase her team-leading total to 43.
- Alyssa Barrera's triple was her third of the year.
- Ellessa Bonstrom went 2-3 today with two RBI and two runs scored.
- With 10 hits today, Utah now has 12 games this season with 10 or more hits.
- Sydney Sandez now has 11 wins on the season (11-8), tying her career best. She went 11-9 in 2019 and 11-3 in 2020.
Utah travels to Seattle for its final regular season road series of the season, taking on No. 5 Washington in a four-game series. The first game begins Friday at 6 p.m. MT.
That's stolen base No. 30 on the season for @HaleyDenning!
Most by a Ute since 2001! pic.twitter.com/J01WevIn7z
— Utah Softball ?? (@Utah_Softball) May 4, 2021