USC's Nathan Bultman, McKay Johnson, Matthew Katnik Advance To NCAA Championships At West Prelims
Nathan Bultman in the men's hammer throw and McKay Johnson and Matthew Katnik in the men's shot put qualified for the NCAA Championships and eight Trojans advanced to NCAA quarterfinals on Friday during the first day of the 2021 NCAA West Preliminary Rounds held at E.B. Cushing Stadium in College Station, Texas today (May 26). To advance to the semifinals at the NCAA Track & Field Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Ore. from Jun 9-12, an athlete or relay team must finish in the top 12 at the West Preliminary Rounds. Today was the first day of the NCAA West Preliminary Rounds for the men, while the women's competition begins tomorrow.
- Bultman comfortably advanced to the NCAA Championships in the men's hammer throw with a best mark of 226-2 (68.95m). That throw came in his third attempt and was fifth overall, with the top 12 advancing to Nationals. He was consistent all day, opening with 225-11, followed by 221-8 and then his best mark. Trey Knight had a best throw of 210-1 (64.03m), which came in his second attempt, to finish 16th. It took 213-6 (65.07m) to advance.
- Johnson had a best mark of 63-7 (19.38m) to finish eighth in the men's shot put to advance to the NCAA Championships. Katnik also advanced, but not without a scare. He had dropped to 13th, the first spot out of advancing prior to his last attempt, but responded with a mark of 62-4.50 (19.01m) to grab the 12th and final position and a trip to Eugene, Ore. for the NCAA Championships.
- Jalyn Jackson finished 15th overall in the men's long jump with a best leap of 24-11.25/7.60m (+1.1). His jump came in his second attempt, sandwiched by fouls in rounds one and three on jumps which looked strong. He was fifth after the first two flights, but fell to 15th after the last 24 jumpers competed. Jackson's jump would have claimed 10th in the NCAA East Regional which also was contested today.
- Tade Ojora was in the first heat of the men's 110m hurdles and took care of business by placing second in his heat with a windy-best of 13.52 (+3.0w) to automatically advance to Friday's quarterfinal. The top three of each heat in most running events plus the next best six times would advance to the quarterfinals. When all six heats were concluded, Ojora finished fifth out of the 24 advancing hurdlers.
- Next on the track for USC was Davonte Burnett in the 100m dash. He also ran in the first heat and also automatically advanced by winning the heat with a blazing windy-PR of 10.00 (+2.7w). His time was tops among the qualifiers.
- Nicholas Ramey had a PR of 45.93 to finish fourth in the first men's 400m heat, but when all was said and done he qualified on time seventh overall, the top qualifier on time. Joining him in the quarterfinal will be Brian Herron who took second in his heat and fifth overall with a time of 45.84.
- USC also advanced both men's 800m runners to the quarterfinals Friday as Isaiah Jewett won his heat with a time of 1:48.84 to automatically advance and Sam VanDorpe finished fourth in his heat with a time of 1:48.98 to qualify on time. He was fourth among the non-automatic qualifiers through the first three heats and remained there when all six heats were done. Jewett had the 11th fastest time among the qualifiers and VanDorpe the 15th. VanDorpe made a big move at the end trying to squeeze between the second and third-place finishers at the line, which was unsuccessful by 0.03 seconds, but it did get him in on time.
- Cameron Samuel easily won the second heat of the men's 400m hurdles with a time of 49.71 to automatically advance to Friday's quarterfinal. After all six heats, his time was second among the qualifiers.
- Burnett then ended the day's action for USC by taking second in his 200m heat with a time of 20.62 (+1.3) to automatically advance to the quarterfinal Friday. His time was 11th among the qualifiers.