Samuel, Benjamin, Sears & Felix Advance To Finals At The U.S. Olympic Team Trials
Cameron Samuel and Rai Benjamin in the men's 400m hurdles, Allyson Felix in the women's 200m and Earnest Sears II in the men's high jump all advanced to USA event finals at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Track & Field Team Trials being held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. today (June 25). In addition, Anna Cockrell and Dalilah Muhammad advanced to the semifinals in the women's 400m hurdles.
- Rai Benjamin (USC 2018) and Cameron Samuel automatically advanced to tomorrow's men's 400m hurdles final by finishing 1-2 in their semifinal heat. Benjamin won with a time of 48.61 and Samuel was second in the heat with a time of 49.01. Their times ended up second and third among the qualifiers to the final.
- Allyson Felix (USC 2008) took second in her women's 200m semifinal with a season-best time of 22.20 (-0.3) to automatically advance to the final tomorrow. Angie Annelus finished eighth in the same heat with a time of 22.76 (-0.3). Felix was third and Annelus 13th overall in the semifinal.
- Earnest Sears III easily cruised through to the men's high jump final on Sunday. He missed on his first attempt of the day at 7-0.25 (2.14m), but cleared that on his second attempt. He then cleared the next height of 7-2.25 (2.19m) on his first attempt and that is all it took to separate 12 finalists from the group. Sears was tied for seventh when the field was whittled down to 12.
- Anna Cockrell and defending Olympic champion Dalilah Muhammad (USC 2012) easily advanced through the first round of the women's 400m hurdles
- Brendan Ames (USC 2011) placed sixth in his 110m hurdles first-round heat and finished 15th overall to advance to the semifinals tomorrow.
The Trojans are competing all over the globe in championships for their native countries for an opportunity to compete in the Olympics. Here are the results from action today:
At the Jamaica National Championship Meet Today
- Jordan Scott won the Jamaican triple jump title with a best leap of 54-1.75/16.50m (+0.3). He has not quite met the Olympic qualifying standard of 56-3.75 (17.15m) during the qualifying period and will have to wait to see if he gets accepted to the Olympics.
- Davonte Burnett, who had the second-fastest 100m qualifying time yesterday of 10.05, did not start in the semifinal today due to a hamstring issue.
At the British Athletics Championships Today
- Nicole Yeargin won her 400m heat with a time of 53.03 to automatically advance to the event final tomorrow.
At the Canada Athletics Championships Today
- Aaron Brown won his third consecutive men's 100m dash title with a time of 10.12 (+0.4). Andre De Grasse, who has already qualified for the Canadian Olympic Team, is not competing this weekend at the Trials in Montreal.
# # # # #