2021 USC Football Fall Camp Report #8: Trojans Begin Final Week of Camp
Aug 16, 2021
The Trojans kicked off their final week of fall camp with a fully-padded practice on Monday.
- USC head coach Clay Helton said this week would be the most physical thus far, with four full-pads practices and a scrimmage at the Coliseum on Saturday.
- Looking back at the first scrimmage, Helton said the defense "flew around" and said that he was impressed with the offensive line. He also complimented RB Brandon Campbell and WR Kyle Ford's performances in last Saturday's scrimmage.
- Camp always comes with a few injuries. Cornerback Adonis Otey underwent surgery for a broken bone in his hand, which Helton said could be a season-ending injury. Safety Briton Allen will be out for the season with a torn ACL.
- Linebacker Solomon Tuliaupupu has yet to see the field during his USC career due to foot and knee injuries, but Helton said he's still progressing. "It's so neat to see him out here actually doing individual drills and really gaining confidence," he said. "There's three things that have got to happen — One: just being medically cleared. Right now he's medically cleared for individual work. We're not in the contact phase with him right now. And then his confidence level. I think that's building. And then my gut feeling of how he looks and how he's performing."
- While defensive lineman Korey Foreman was limited today with a groin injury, Drake Jackson had a big day. "Drake Jackson with fresh legs is a dangerous thing," said Helton. "Really nice to have him back. You could see how valuable he is ... Obviously he's one of the best players in the country and somebody we're going to count on."
- With the final practice of camp coming up on Saturday, Helton is evaluating a few position groups in particular. One priority is to "establish a first-string wideout group across the board with what healthy bodies are there." He is also still looking to establish who the starting left and right tackles will be, and solidifying the front four on the defensive line.