Oregon State Drops Two Matches Saturday
University Park, Pa. – The Oregon State volleyball team conclude action at the Penn State Classic with matches against No. 17 Penn State and Iowa State. The Beavers (1-4, 0-0 Pac-12) dropped both matches, 3-0, in Rec Hall in University Park, Pa. on Saturday.
At No. 17 Penn State (L – 18-25, 30-32, 14-25)
Oregon State took on host, No. 17 Penn State, to begin Saturday's action. The Beavers got off to a slow start but gave the Nittany Lions (4-1, 0-0 Big 10) a run in the second set to make for an exciting back and forth matchup before OSU fell to PSU in three sets.
Junior Lindsey Schell led the Beavers with 14 kills and two blocks. Maddie Goings and Kateryna Tkachenko followed with nine and eight kills, respectively. Grace Massey tallied 18 digs and one ace, while Izzi Szulczewski recorded her third double-double of the season with 33 assists and 11 digs.
Penn State was led by Jonni Parker, who finished with 14 kills and four blocks. As a team, the Nittany Lions hit .299 with nine blocks.
- Tkachenko made her first start of the 2021 season.
- Freshman DiLara Unal made her debut in the Orange and Black and scored her first point with a kill in the third set. She also had two blocks.
- Vivian Light recorded four kills, and Emily Bourne had two.
- The Beavers and Nittany Lions tied 15 times in set two, including seven after each team had 24 points.
- Oregon State finished as a team hitting .260, the second-highest hit percentage this season.
vs Iowa State (L – 20-25, 21-25, 18-25)
The Beavers concluded weekend action against Iowa State. The Cyclones (4-1, 0-0 Big 12) were able to string together a couple of long point streaks in each set that Oregon State wasn't able to have an answer for.
Schell and Tkachenko led OSU against the Cyclones with 10 kills each. Goings added nine kills to the mix, while Szulczewski had another double-double with 24 assists and 11 digs. Freshman Ellie Turner matched Szulczewski to lead the team with 11 digs, and Massey finished with nine digs and eight assists.
Iowa State hit .318, and was led by a 10-kill and 11-dig effort by Eleanor Holthaus. The Cyclones had nine blocks and 44 kills on the day as a team.
- Light and Unal made their first starts of their OSU careers against the Cyclones.
- Szulczewski's double-double against ISU is the 14th of her career.
- Schell and Bourne led OSU with three blocks each, all block assists. As a team, the Beavers had five.
- Freshman Madison Kelly recorded two aces. Goings had one.
The Beavers continue their road stretch heading to Fort Collins, Colo. for the Colorado State Tournament. Oregon State will take on UAB on Friday, Sept. 10 at 8 a.m., before facing host Colorado State Friday night at 6:30 p.m. Action will conclude when the Beavers take on Southern Illinois Edwardsville on Saturday at 10 a.m.
For more information on the Oregon State volleyball team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverVBall, by Facebook at Facebook.com/BeaverVBall or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverVBall.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).