Postgame Notes: Utah at BYU
Sep 12, 2021
(at) BYU 26, Utah 17
Provo, Utah (LaVell Edwards Stadium)
Sat., Sept. 11, 2021
Kick: 8:25 p.m. MT | End: 11:47 p.m. MT
Attendance: 63,470 (sellout)
- Utah had a nine-game winning streak snapped vs. BYU, with Saturday marking its first loss to the Cougars since a 26-23 overtime setback in the 2009 season. The nine-game run had tied the longest winning streak by either team in the all-time series.
- It was the Utes' first regulation loss to BYU since 2007. Utah also snapped a four-game winning streak when playing inside LaVell Edwards Stadium and is now 21-18-1 all-time in Provo.
- Since joining the Pac-12 in 2011, Utah is 27-2 in regular season non-conference games and had won 23 straight. Prior to Saturday, the team's only other loss in such a game was an overtime decision against Utah State in 2012.
- Seven of the last eight meetings between Utah and BYU have been decided by 10 points or less.
- Utah won the coin toss, deferred to the second half and elected to defend the North goal.
- Senior quarterback Charlie Brewer finished 15-for-26 passing totaling 147 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Brewer surpassed 10,000 career passing yards in the game, becoming one of only two active FBS quarterbacks (Bailey Zappe, WKU) to achieve the feat.
- Freshman running back Micah Bernard carried the ball 12 times for 146 yards, both career-highs, with Bernard's yardage for the game more than the combined total (111) for his prior 10 games as a Ute.
- Bernard's 12.2 yards per carry at BYU ranks fourth all-time at Utah for a single game.
- Five of Bernard's carries were for double-digit yards (10, 32, 50, 19, 22), with the 22-yard run the first touchdown of Bernard's collegiate career. His 50-yard carry reset his career-long, which was previously the 32-yard scamper earlier in the game. He entered the game with a long run of 25 yards during the 2020 season.
- Bernard's 32-yard rush in the second quarter also set up Utah's first touchdown of the night two plays later. That touchdown, a 20-yard strike from Brewer to junior tight end Brant Kuithe, was the eighth touchdown reception of Kuithe's career and first since Nov. 30, 2019, when Kuithe found the end zone three times (1 rushing, 2 receiving) vs. Colorado.
- Dating back to Dec. 5, 2020, Utah has had a 100-yard rusher in its last five games.
- Junior tight end Dalton Kincaid had a 37-yard reception in the third quarter, his longest as a Ute and longest since Nov. 16, 2019 when Kincaid played for San Diego.
- Of Kincaid's five receptions with Utah through Saturday's game, all have been for 10-plus yards. That includes Kincaid's 37-yard grab at BYU, as well as a 35-yard reception vs. Weber State on Sept. 2. Four of Kincaid's five receptions have given Utah a first down, with the other a touchdown reception.
- Utah was held off the scoreboard in the first quarter, snapping a run of seven straight periods in which the Utes produced points.
- Junior linebacker Devin Lloyd recorded a career-high 13 tackles, and had nine tackles in the first half. It came a week following an eight-stop performance in the first 30 minutes vs. Weber State where Lloyd concluded that game with 12 tackles.
- Sophomore linebacker Hayden Furey finished the night with a career-high four tackles including 2.0 tackles for loss, the first TFL of Furey's collegiate career.
- Junior linebacker Nephi Sewell had a season-best and tied a career-high with 11 tackles on the night. Sewell's 2.5 TFLs were also his top mark for a single game.
- Lloyd (13) and Sewell (11) were the first Utah duo to tally double-digit tackles in the same game since the pair did so vs. USC on Nov. 21, 2020.
- Senior safety Vonte Davis matched his career-high with seven tackles.
- For the second straight week, Utah forced three-and-outs on its opponent's first two possessions.
- Amidst an absolute downpour at the time, sophomore Jadon Redding made a career-long 47-yard field goal in the fourth quarter.
- Redding had a streak snapped of 14 consecutive field goals made, as a 49-yard attempt was off the mark in the third quarter. It was Redding's first miss since Sept. 28, 2019.
Related News & Videos
4 minutes ago