Cal-Sacramento State Postgame Notes
Sep 18, 2021
- Cal now leads the all-time series with the Hornets, 3-0, with the previous wins in 2005 and 2014, both in Berkeley.
- Cal is 11-3 vs. non-conference opponents (10-2 regular season) under Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox since 2017.
- Cal's 42 points, 534 yards of total offense and 250 rushing yards were a season best were the most since the Bears posted 539 total offense yards and 305 rushing yards in a 49-7 victory at Oregon State in 2018.
- Cal's first two drives went 85 and 69 yards, giving the Bears six drives of at least 63 yards in the first quarter this season (two in each game). The Bears have outscored opponents, 34-6, in the opening period.
- With two first-quarter touchdowns (both from four yards out), Damien Moore now has five rushing TDs on the year with at least one in each game. Moore's five rushing TDs are the most in the first three games of a season for Cal since Shane Vereen posted six rushing TDs in the first three games of the 2010 season. On the last play of the third quarter, Moore rattled off a 32-yard run, the second longest of his career (54 vs. Stanford in 2020).
- Chase Garbers completed 10-of-10 passes in the first quarter and his first 11 consecutive passes. He ended the day completing 22-of-34 passes for 288 yards with two touchdown passes and one rushing TD. He completed passes to nine different receivers. His 251 passing yards in the first half were the most he's had in a half in his career, surpassing his previous career-high 235 at TCU on Sept. 11 of this season. In the fourth quarter, he ran for his eighth career rushing touchdown and is now one shy of the school record for QB rushing touchdowns of nine, held by Brian Bedford and Dave Penhall.
- Jeremiah Hunter hauled in his first career touchdown on a career-long 45-yard reception in the second quarter. He ended the day with career highs in receptions (5) and receiving yards (78).
- Nikko Remigio returned the opening second-half kickoff for a 99-yard touchdown. It was Cal's first kick return for a touchdown since Ashtyn Davis ran back an 89-yarder vs. Idaho State in 2018. The kick return TD was also the longest since Trevor Davis took one to the house for 100 yards at Washington State in 2014 and also tied for sixth all-time in school history.
- Trevon Clark hauled in his fourth career touchdown - second this season - in the third quarter.
- Justin Richard Baker had three receptions for 23 yards for his first career stats other than participation.
- Daniel Scott secured his third career interception - his second in as many games - in the third quarter.
- Evan Tattersall (10) and Muelu Iosefa (9) collected career highs in tackles (10), while Muelu Iosefa notched a personal best of nine tackles.
- Lu-Magia Hearns III and Hunter made their first career starts, while Braxten Croteau made his first start of the season.
- Mason Mangum played for the first time in 2021.