Game Updates: Minnesota vs. Colorado
September 18, 2021 • Folsom Field • Boulder, Colo. • 11 a.m. MT
- The Colorado Buffaloes will host the Minnesota Golden Gophers this Saturday with kickoff set for 11:01 am MT
- The Colorado Buffaloes are 1-1 overall 0-0 in Pac 12 play coming off a heartbreaking 7-10 defeat against the No. 6 Texas A&M Aggies last week at Empower Field at Mile High in Denver, Colorado.
- The Minnesota Golden Gophers are 1-1 overall, 0-1 in Big Ten play coming off a close 31-26 victory over the University of Miami Ohio in last week.
- The Buffaloes defense is coming off a stellar defensive performance against a ranked opponent in the previous week allowing just 10 points to a stellar Texas A&M offense. Colorado has allowed under 300 yards in each of its first two games this season (256 by Northern Colorado, 288 by Texas A&M). That previously happened on eight occasions over the last 50 seasons (1971, 1976, 1978, 1981, 1987, 2001, 2006, 2016).
- Colorado will look to end Minnesota's 20 straight non-conference win streak, the longest active streak in the country. Iowa is second with 13 straight wins while Kentucky (12) and Alabama (10) are the only other teams in the country with a streak longer than six games.
- Colorado tailbacks Alex Fontenot and Jarek Broussard are in a race to become the 55th player in school history ot rush for 1,000 career yards. Fontenot if 55th now with 996 yards and while Broussard is 58th with 958 (technically over 1,000 yards but CU won't count bowl stats until the NCAA mandates all bowl games count, not just those from 2002.
- With redshirt senior Mohamd Ibrahim out for the season with a lower leg injury that occurred against Ohio State, the Gophers turned to Trey Potts Saturday and ran for 178 yards on two touchdowns on 34 carries. His 34 carries are the most by any player in the country this season.
Uniforms: Colorado will wear traditional black jerseys, gold pant and gold helmets for the third straight week.
Captains: Captains will be voted on weekly by the team. Captains for this game are freshman CB Christian Gonzalez, senior OL Kary Kutsch, graduate TE Matt Lynch and junior DE Carson Wells.
Weather: Approximately 70 degrees Fahrenheit with a clear sky at kickoff.
Coin toss: Minnesota wins the coin toss and defers to the second half. Colorado will receive the opening kickoff and defend the south goal.
4Q: END OF GAME - MINNESOTA WINS: After running a few plays, the Gophers ewventually took a knee and ran out the clock, leaving Boulder with a 30-0 victory. End of Game.
4Q: COLORADO TURNOVER ON DOWNS: After getting a p[ari of first downs, the Buffs could move the ball no further and were unsuccessful on fourth down. Minnesota takes over on downs at their own 46 yard line. 1st and 10 Gophers with 2:27 left in the game.
4Q: MINNESOTA TOUCHDOWN: The Gophers used two runs, one for 24 yards and one for 28 yards to help put them in good position to punch in a 14 yard touchdown run by Thomas. PAT was good from Trickett. Minnesota lead 30-0 with 5:09 left in the fourth.
4Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts for 46 yards. Fair caugth by Annexstad at Minnesota 23. 1st and 10 Minnesota at their own 23.
Drew Carter now in at quarterback for the Buffs.
4Q: MINNESOTA FIELD GOAL: Trickett makes field goal attempt from 33 yards. Score now 23-0 Golden Gophers with 9:53 left in the 4th.
4Q: MINNESOTA PUNT: Crawford punt MUFFED by Stanley. recovered by Bishop Mcdonald of Minnesota. 1st and 10 Minnesota at the Colorado 37. 12:28 left in the 4th quarter.
4Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punts for 49 yards to Minnesota 28. Fair catch by Annexstad. 1st and 10 Minnesota on their own 28.
Start of fourth Quarter
3Q: END OF 3rd QUARTER: 21 total yards for Colorado in the third while they remain scoreless. in the game.
3Q: MINNESOTA TOUCHDOWN: Potts runs to the right for a gain of three yards and Golden Gophers touchdown. Extra point GOOD by Trickett. Seven plays 43 yards 4:05 on the drive. Minnesota leas 20-0 with 0:23 left inf the 3rd quarter.
Junior DL Na'im Rodman escorted off the field with an injury.
3Q: COLORADO TURNOVER: Fumble on the run by quarterback Brendon Lewis at Colorado 43. Fumble forced by Mariano Sori-Marin and recovered by Justus Harris. 1st and 10 Golden Gophers at the Colorado 43.
3Q: MINNESOTA PUNT: Crawford punts for 45 yards. Punt muffed but recovered by Stanley. 1st and 10 Colorado at their own 40. 4:35 left in the 3rd quarter.
3Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watt punts for 42 yards, fair caught at the Minnesota 14 by Annexstad. 1st and 10 Minnesota from their own 14. 6: 46 left in the 3rd quarter.
3Q: MINNESOTA 46-YARD FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT: NO GOOD. Missed right by Trickett. His third missed kick on the day including a missed extra point. 1st and 10 Colorado at their own 28 with 9:26 left in the 3rd quarter.
Junior DL Janaz Jordan Walks off field with injury.
3Q: Start of second half
2Q: HALFTIME: Colorado was unable to get anything going offensively in the first half as they failed to get a first down until the 2nd quarter. Colorado had just seven yards of offense in the first half. Minnesota meanwhile put up 117 rushing yards and 108 passing. Guy Thomas and Quinn Perry lead Colorado with five tackles. Last time Colorado was shutout in the first half was in 2019 against Nebraska when they won 34-31 in overtime so there is certainly a chance at a comeback. At halftime the score is Minnesota 13 Colorado 0.
2Q: COLORADO TURNOVER ON DOWNS: After a 12-yard sack by Minnesota's Thomas Rush on 4th down in Colorado territory the Gophers take over. 4th sack for the Gophers on the day. 1st and 10 Minnesota at the Colorado 49.
2Q: MINNESOTA PUNT: Colorado forces Gophers three-and-out. Punt by Crawford 30 yards to Colorado 47 giving Colorado their best field position yet. 1st and 10 Colorado at their own 47.
2Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watt punt for 56 yards. 3 yards on the return by Potts. 1st and 10 Minnesota at their own 19.
2Q: MINNESOTA KICKOFF: 22-yard return by Brenden Rice to the Colorado 22. 1st and 10 Colorado at their own 22.
2Q: MINNESOTA TOUCHDOWN: 2 yard run by Potts for his second touchdown of the game. Drive 6 plays 62 yards 3:40. Extra point GOOD by Trickett. Score now Golden Gophers 13 Buffaloes 0 with 5:38 left in the 1st half.
2Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punt goes for 53 yards, 15 yards on return by Annexstad to Minnesota 38 yard line. 1st and 10 Golden Gophers at their own 38. 9:18 left to play in the half.
2Q: MINNESOTA KICKOFF: Trickett kicks it out of the end zone for touchback. 1st and 10 Colorado at their own 25-yard line.
2Q: MINNESOTA TOUCHDOWN: Potts rushed up the middle for 13 yards for a touchdown. Extra point NO GOOD by Trickett. Minnesota 8 plays, 82 yards, 4:28 time of the drive. Minnesota leads 6-0 with 12:19 left in the 1st half.
2Q: Colorado safety Chris Miller escorted off the field.
Start of second quarter
1Q: END OF FIRST QUARTER: Scoreless in the first quarter of play. Colorado with 12 pass yards but -12 rush yards while Minnesota had 59 rush yards and 24 pass yards. in the 1st. Each team had one penalty in the1st.
1Q: COLORADO PUNT: 54 yards on Watts punt. Fair caught Brock Annexstad at Colorado 18. 1st and 10 Minnesota at their own 18.
1Q: MINNESOTA PUNT: 57 yards on punt by Mark Crawford after a Minnesota three-and-out. Returned for 3 yards by Dimitri Stanley to Colorado 20. 1st and 10 Buffs at their own 20.
1Q: COLORADO PUNT: Watts punt 53 yards on the punt, 12 yards on the return by Potts. 1st and 10 Minnesota on their own 27 after a 15-yard penalty on Minnesota on the return.
1Q: MINNESOTA 24-YARD FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT: NO GOOD. Missed by wide right by Minnesota kicker Matthew Trickett. 1st and 10 Colorado from their own 20.
1Q: COLORADO PUNT: Buffs go three-and-out on first drive a holding penalty costing them on a completion. Josh Watts 62 yards on the punt to the Minnesota 28. Trey Potts returns for 14 yards to the Minnesota 47.1st and 10 Minnesota at their own 47.
Start of the Game