UW Ready For Pac-12 Road Trip
SEATTLE – The Huskies will head back out on the road this week for their first Pac-12 road matches of the year as they face Colorado and Utah.
UW is coming off a thrilling second half comeback in the Pac-12 opener, scoring two goals off free kicks in the final 45 minutes to draw with #15 Arizona State. The goals by Jessika Cowart and Summer Yates were the second of the year for both. The final result was a 2-2 draw in Washington's third straight match reaching overtime.
Last season, the Huskies played the Buffaloes twice in Seattle, tying 0-0 and then winning 2-1 with Yates scoring a brace. UW also defeated Utah last season in Salt Lake City 1-0, with Yates scoring the game-winner in that match as well.
The Huskies will matchup against the Buffaloes on Thursday, Sept. 30 at 2:00 p.m. and finish the two-game road trip on Sunday against the Utes in Salt Lake City at 11:00 a.m. Both matches will be televised by the Pac-12 Network.
The Huskies return home the following weekend as California and No. 13 Stanford visit Seattle.
- Summer Yates has been named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List. The Hermann Trophy is giving annually to the top individual collegiate soccer player in the country.
- Through nine games, the Huskies have outshot their opponent by a margin of 118-92. On average, nearly three more shots per game than their opponents.
- The two goals scored in against ASU were a team high on the year, UW had scored only once in seven games thus far.
- Summer Yates, Jessika Cowart and Vanessa Millsaps share the team lead in goals scored with two each. Cowart's two goals have come on only five total shots.
- Yates' goal against the Sun Devils was the 17th of her career in her 64th career appearance.
- Washington scored 20 goals in the spring 2021 season, 19 of those goals are from players on this season's roster.
- Entering the week, goalkeeper Olivia Sekany is tied for seventh in the Pac-12 conference is total saves (24) and sixth in saves per game (3.00).
- Washington and Colorado will be meeting for the 12th time, the Buffaloes lead 4-3-4, and most recently UW won 2-1 in Feb. 2021. Summer Yates had two goals in that match including the winner in the 86th minute.
- UW and Utah will face for the 15th time in program history. The overall series is tied at 7-7-0. UW Utah last season in Salt Lake City 1-0, with Yates scoring the game-winner in that match.
- Ameera Hussen leads UW in total shots with 25, while Yates is second with 18.
- Olivia Van der Jagt and Helena Reischling have been mainstays in the Husky midfield and defense, both playing over 820 minutes so far.
- Six Huskies have started every contest so far; Hussen, Yates, Reischling, Van der Jagt, Hellstrom, and Sekany.
- Through eight games, 22 different players have earned playing time for Washington.
- Helena Reischling scored her first goal of the season in overtime against Seattle U, with a 106th minute strike from outside of the box to win 1-0 in golden goal fashion.
- Against Long Beach State, Vanessa Millsaps scored her first goal of the season, weaving around the LBSU defenders and slotting home a left footed shot in the 39th minute.
- Last season, Colorado went 9-6-2 (5-4-2 Pac-12) and reached the NCAA Tournament, falling to South Alabama in the first round.
- Utah held a 4-9-3 record in the spring 2021 campaign, going 3-6-2 in Pac-12 action.