USC Football vs. Utah Practice Report: Defense Remains Focused, Braces For Run Game
Oct 6, 2021
The Trojans are focused on improving upon last week's mistakes are they prepare to take on the Utes.
- Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando was pleased with the defense's performance, especially in controlling the run game and third down situations. "At the end of the day, it's players making plays, and the guys that normally make plays for us really showed up big," Orlando said.
- The Trojans had five sacks against Colorado, which Orlando attributed to the improvements that the defense showed in coverage last week. "It all goes back to guys covering," Orlando said. "It just goes back to the backend, they did a really good job."
- Even after an exciting win over Colorado, the defense remains focused on the game ahead. "Our approach to the game and our approach to every single week is the same, we have to go in, we have to dominate, we have to execute," Chase Williams said.
- Freshman Maximus Gibbs, who started this season as an offensive lineman made his debut as part of the defensive line this week. Orlando expects to see him take on an expanded role on the field.
- "It's been a blessing, to just work hard, and it pays off," Gibbs said. "Wherever the team needs me, I'm there. I just like working, I like being better and doing better."
- Orlando hopes to see improvements in tackling as the defense prepares to take on a Utah team with a dynamic run game. "They're gonna be tough, fundamental, well-coached, and we know they're going to try to run the football," he said.
- The Trojans return to the Coliseum in pursuit of back-to-back wins for the first time this season. "The last two losses we had in the Coli definitely wasn't up to our standard, and what we believe in," Williams said. "We gotta protect our home, and we gotta go in there and dominate."
Related News & Videos
4 minutes ago