Football Hosts No. 10 Oregon Saturday Afternoon
Venue: Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl
Time: 12:30 p.m. PT
Television (ABC): Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Holly Rowe
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from Learfield): AM 1150/AM 570
Josh Lewin (play-by-play),Matt Stevens (analyst), Wayne Cook (reporter);
Sirius Ch. 111 / XM Ch. 197 / SXM App 959
UCLA will host No. 10 Oregon in a Pac-12 contest set for 12:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Oct. 23. The game will be televised by ABC. The UCLA Learfield Radio Network will broadcast the contest, which will also be aired over SiriusXM and the Varsity App.
UCLA owns a 40-30 overall advantage in the series with the Ducks. UO holds an 8-7 edge in series games played in the Rose Bowl. UCLA's last series win came in 2017 by a score of 31-14 in a game played on Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.
In the last matchup between the teams, in 2020 at Eugene, backup Chase Griffin made his first career start at quarterback, when Dorian Thompson-Robinson was unavailable, in a 38-35 Ducks win. Oregon took a 24-21 lead into halftime after returning an interception for a score just before the end of the half. The Ducks maintained a 38-28 advantage heading into the fourth quarter. With 3:43 remaining, Demetric Felton (now with the Browns) ran in from 11 yards out to narrow the gap to 38-35. UCLA's defense stopped the Ducks to force a punt and the Bruins took over at their own 19-yard line with 1:17 to play. UCLA moved down the field, but could not advance into field goal range.
The last UCLA win in the series came on Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl during the 2017 season. The Bruins bested the Ducks 31-14 behind Josh Rosen who completed 21 of 35 passes for 266 yards and two touchdowns. The Homecoming win marked the 600th victory in program history. UCLA outscored the Ducks 17-0 in the second half after being tied with the Ducks at halftime, 14-all.
• This week, UCLA will be looking for its first win over a top-10 ranked opponent since it bested No. 7 Texas, in Austin, in the 2010 season ... The last Bruin win over a top-10 ranked opponent in a game played in the Rose Bowl came in 2007 over then No. 9-ranked Oregon.
• On the ground, UCLA has out-rushed its opponent in 13 consecutive games - the longest streak by the Bruins dating back to 1980 is a 15-game stretch which covered the last 3 games of 1984 and all 12 games of the 1985 season ... it has racked up a 1,539-to-638 rushing yards edge on opponents in 2021 ... the Bruins average 5.0 yards per rush while opponents are at 3.0 ... per game, UCLA is at 219.9 (17th nationally); opponents at 91.0 (9th nationally in rush defense) ... UCLA has averaged as much as 5.0 yards per rush for a season in only two years since 1980.
• UCLA has held four opponents under 100 yards rushing this season (26 by Hawaii, 49 by LSU, 67 by Stanford, 83 by Washington).
• UCLA owns a 62-18 advantage in the first quarter of games this season and opponents have tallied just one TD in the first quarter of games.
• UCLA has totaled at least one 100-yard rusher in each of its five wins this season.
• UCLA's 24 points at Washington was the fewest scored in a winning effort since it defeated BYU 17-14 in the 2016 season.
• Zach Charbonnet posted his fifth 100-yard game of the season at Washington, a season-best 131-yard effort ... his five 100-yard games is the most by a Bruin in a season since Josh Kelley (now with Chargers) posted six in 2018. Paul Perkins also had six in the 2014 season. The last Bruin with more than six was UCLA's all-time leading rusher Johnathan Franklin who had a school-record nine in 2012.
• UCLA has held its last two opponents under 20 points ... last time it held three straight under 20 points was in 2009 (SDSU, Tennessee, K-State).
BRUIN FAMILY TIES
Safety Quentin Lake is following in the footsteps of his mom (Monica) and dad (Carnell), who each attended UCLA. Carnell played linebacker at UCLA from 1985-88 and went on to earn All-Pro honors in the NFL ... DB Elisha Guidry's brother, Javelin, played defensive back at Utah. His dad, also Javelin, played defensive back at UCLA (1994-97) as did his uncle, Paul, who played defensive back at UCLA from 1993-96 ... LB Shea Pitts' dad, Ron, played defensive back at UCLA (1981-84). His grandfather, Elijah Pitts (1938–1998), was a running back for the Green Bay Packers and part of all five NFL championship teams under Coach Lombardi, including the first two Super Bowls.
BRUIN NFL LINKS
DB Quentin Lake's dad, Carnell, is a former All-America player at UCLA and All-Pro player in the NFL (1989-01 Steelers, Jaguars, Ravens) ... LB Shea Pitts' dad, Ron, played defensive back at UCLA from 1981-84 and then in the NFL for Buffalo and Green Bay (1985-90). Shea's grandfather, Elijah Pitts (1938–1998), was a running back for the Green Bay Packers and was part of all five NFL championship teams under Lombardi, including the first two Super Bowls ... Chase Cota's dad, Chad Cota, played from 1995-2002 with Panthers, Saints, Colts and St. Louis Rams ... Nicholas Barr-Mira is the brother of Bruin All-American linebacker Anthony Barr who has played the past six seasons for the Vikings after being a first round selection on Minnesota in the 2014 NFL Draft ... Luke Akers' dad, David, played 16 professional seasons with the Eagles, 49ers and Lions and appeared in six Pro Bowls ... Kam Brown's dad, Larry, played for the Cowboys, Raiders and Vikings from 1991-1998 and was a three-time Super Bowl Champion and MVP of Super Bowl XXX ... Multiple members of the Bruin coaching staff have a link to the NFL in addition to Coach Kelly - Defensive Coordinator Jerry Azzinaro - four seasons as an assistant with San Francisco and Philadelphia; Running backs coach DeShaun Foster played seven seasons in the NFL - 2002-07 with the Panthers and 2008 at San Francisco after his UCLA playing career ... Director of Football Performance Keith Belton played running back in the NFL for the Lions, Bears and Broncos from 2004-07.
LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON
Several Bruins have dads who were on the UCLA football team -- DB Quentin Lake's dad, Carnell played linebacker at UCLA from 1985-88 and was a second round selection of the Pittsburgh Steelers and went on to be named to the NFL's 1990's All-Decade team ... DB Elisha Guidry's dad, Javelin, played defensive back at UCLA from 1994-97 ... LB Shea Pitts' dad, Ron, played defensive back at UCLA from 1981-84 and then went on to an NFL career with Buffalo and Green Bay ... Shea wears the same No. 47 his dad did while a Bruin. Other players with dads who played college football include -- Luke Akers (David-Louisville); Baraka Beckett (Justin-Duke); Brittain Brown (Keith-Army); Kam Brown (Larry-TCU); Christian Burkhalter (Todd-Auburn); Bo Calvert (David-Utah); Michael Churich (Kenneth-Cal); Chase Cota (Chad-Oregon); Bruno Fina (John-Arizona); Hudson Habermehl (Steve-Cal Poly SLO); Jake Newman (David-Missouri); David Priebe (Mike-Illinois).