Cal Plays at No. 4 Washington, No. 3 Oregon State
BERKELEY – The California men's soccer team continues play in the rugged Pac-12 Conference, with the Golden Bears playing at fourth-ranked Washington on Thursday at 7 p.m. and at third-ranked Oregon State at 3 p.m. on Halloween Sunday.
The Pac-12 Networks will broadcast both games, with Cal-UW airing live on Pac-12 Bay Area and Pac-12 Washington, and Cal-OSU airing live on Pac-12 Oregon.
Cal brings a 3-8-2 overall record (1-5-0 Pac-12) to Seattle, where UW has a 12-1-0 record (4-1-0 Pac-12). Oregon State is 9-1-2 (4-0-1 Pac-12) ahead of its Thursday game vs. Stanford.
Live stats for Cal's game at Washington are available here, and the Cal-Oregon State live stats are here. Fans can follow Twitter updates for all Cal games at @CalMSoc.
Adrian Guzman Named Pac-12 Player of the Week
Adrian Guzman was named the Pac-12 Men's Soccer Player of the Week, the Conference office announced on Monday, after the sophomore midfielder scored the gamewinning goal – and his first collegiate goal – in Cal's 2-1 upset of No. 22 UCLA on Oct. 21 at Edwards Stadium.
This is the first Pac-12 weekly award for the El Sobrante, California, product, the 41st for the Golden Bears program and the second of the season for the Bears, including Jack Singer's award on Sept. 6.
With Cal trailing the Bruins, 1-0, the Bears got the equalizer from forward Fahmi Ibrahim in the 74th minute, and, with the game looking like it was headed to overtime, Guzman scored the winner in the 89th minute with a shot from about 23 yards out.
About the Bears
- Cal is unbeaten in its last two games – including the 2-1 win over UCLA on Oct. 21 and a 3-3, double overtime tie at Santa Clara on Oct. 16.
- Midfielder Evan Davila (2 goals, 4 assists) continues to lead the team in points (8) and assists.
- Midfielder Wyatt Meyer ranks second in points (7) and is tied for the team lead in goals (3) with Jack Singer and forward Shoei Honda.
- Singer and Honda are tied for third in points (6), and each has one gamewinning goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Chris Gustini has a 1.54 goals-against average in eight starts, while Collin Travasos, a redshirt sophomore, has a 2.30 GAA in five starts.
- Both Davila and Meyer have family connections to Cal. Taylor Davila, Evan's brother, patrolled the Bears' midfield from 2018-19, and now plays professionally for the Los Angeles Galaxy II. Jennifer Thomas, Meyer's mother, played for the Cal women's soccer team from 1982-85, and was an assistant coach for the Cal women's team for 11 seasons.
- Five-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year Kevin Grimes, who is the Bears' all-time leader with 211 wins, is in his 22nd season as Cal's head coach.
- The Huskies lost to Oregon State, 3-2, on Oct. 22 in Seattle in their last game for their first loss of the season.
- Midfielder Dylan Teves leads UW in points (14), assists (6) and gamewinning goals (3) and is tied with defender Ryan Sailor and forward Nick Scardina for the team-high in goals (4 each).
- Teves is tied for second in assists in the Pac-12 with Oregon State's Tsiki Ntsabeleng.
- Goalkeeper Sam Fowler has a Pac-12 best 0.65 GAA and ranks second in the conference with a 0.826 save percentage in 12 starts.
- Jamie Clark is in his 11th year as Washington's head coach.
- Midfielder Tyrone Mondi leads the Pac-12 in points (18), points per game (1.5), goals (7) and goals per game (0.58).
- Forward Tsiki Ntsabeleng is tied for second in assists (6) in the Pac-12 with UW's Dylan Teves and ranks second in the conference in assists per game (0.60).
- Midfielder Sofiane Djeffal paces OSU in gamewinning goals (3).
- Goalkeeper Adrian Fernandez, who has played every minute in OSU's net this season, has a 0.88 GAA, which ranks third in the Pac-12.
- Terry Boss is in his fourth year as Oregon State's head coach.
Last Time Vs. UW & OSU
In Cal's earlier meetings with its Pacific Northwest opponents in Berkeley, the Bears fell in a close match to the then-15th-ranked Beavers on Oct. 7, 1-0, and lost to the then-No. 2 Huskies, 4-0, on Oct. 10.
Cal hosts Stanford in the Big Clasico on Nov. 11 at Edwards Stadium, where the Bears will honor their veteran players prior to the game as part of Senior Day.