No. 8 USC Men’s Tennis Suffers First Loss With 4-1 Defeat At No. 12 Stanford
STANFORD, CALIF. — The No. 8 USC men's tennis team saw host No. 12 Stanford storm singles play to take a 4-1 win over the visiting Trojans today in a nonconference clash at Taube Tennis Center. USC goes to 4-1 overall with its first loss of the season.
USC captured the doubles point with victories on courts one and three, with #10 Trojans Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye posting a 6-3 win at the top spot over Stanford's #8 Fery/Rotsaert for the first boost of the day. Coming through with the point-clincher was Ryan Colby and Peter Makk with a 6-3 win from the No. 3 slot over Sah/Sridhar, and USC was on to singles play with a 1-0 lead on the board.
Stanford would steal the momentum next, however, notching four straight-set singles wins to storm ahead and take the victory. Axel Geller upended USC's #70 Bradley Frye on court three to pull things even at 1-1, and then Aryan Chaudhary topped #40 Lodewijk Weststrate at the No. 5 spot to take the lead for the Cardinal. On court four, Max Basing dealt #35 Peter Makk his first dual-match defeat to get Stanford ahead 3-1. That left two three-setters going at the top spots and a tight one on court six, where Sanjeet Sridhar edged out Ryan Colby 7-5, 7-5 to secure the Stanford win and postpone action on courts one and two.
Next up for the Trojans is a journey to Berkeley for another nonconference bout, facing off against Cal at 1 p.m. tomorrow (Feb. 6).
#12 Stanford 4, #8 USC 1
Feb. 5, 2022 | Stanford, Calif.
(1) #10 Dostanic/Frye (USC) def. #8 Fery/Rotsaert (STAN) - 6-3
(2) Jackson/Marek (USC)vs. Geller/Kopczynski (STAN) - 3-5 susp.
(3) Colby/Makk (USC) def. Sah/Sridhar (STAN) - 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #6 Stefan Dostanic (USC) vs. #7 Arthur Fery (STAN) - 6-3, 3-6, 4-5 susp.
(2) Wojtek Marek (USC) vs. Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) - 6-2, 4-6, 2-1 susp.
(3) Axel Geller (STAN) def. #70 Bradley Frye (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(4) Max Basing (STAN) def. #35 Peter Makk (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(5) Aryan Chaudhary (STAN) def. #40 Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(6) Sangeet Sridhar (STAN) def. Ryan Colby (USC) - 7-5, 7-5*
Order of finish: 3, 5, 4, 6*