Baseball Gameday: Vs. UC Irvine (3/5/22)
GAME 9: Oregon State (8-0) vs. UC Irvine (5-4)
March 5, 2022 • 1:35 p.m. PT • Corvallis, Ore. • Goss Stadium at Coleman Field
RHP Jacob Kmatz (2-0, 2.16) vs. LHP Nick Pinto (0-1, 3.18)
Oregon State and UC Irvine continue their three-game series Saturday afternoon at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. First pitch is slated for 1:35 p.m. PT.
All games air on the Beaver Sports Network with pre-game 30 minutes before first pitch. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1-FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Catch the game online by visiting osubeavers.com, and find the live broadcast on the Oregon State baseball schedule page. The games can be heard via the Varsity Network, which is available for users with smartphones and tablets. Download the free Varsity Network application for live games and archived broadcasts.
The game will not be televised.
A live video stream, produced by Oregon State, will be available. Visit the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com for a link.
Live stats for the game can be accessed by clicking on the live stats link located on the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com.
Cooper Hjerpe and Ben Ferrer combined to strike out 17 and Justin Boyd hit his first career home run to send Oregon State to a 7-2 win over UC Irvine in front of 3,287 Friday night at Goss Stadium at Coleman Field. Boyd hit a two-run home run in the first inning to give the Beavers the lead for good after UC Irvine scored a solo run off Hjerpe in the top half of the inning. He ended the night with a career-best four runs batted in thanks to sacrifice flies in the third and eighth innings. Hjerpe improved to 3-0 with 5 1/3 innings of work in his third start of the season. The lefty struck out 10 and scattered seven hits and two runs before giving way to Ryan Brown in the sixth.
Boyd Goes Deep
• Justin Boyd's first-inning home run marked the first long ball of his career.
• He entered Friday night's game with nine career extra-base hits, including two triples.
• He joins TJ Wheeler, Tanner Smith and Kyle Dernedde as Beavers who have hit their first career Division I home runs this season.
• Oregon State leads the Pac-12 with a .370 average this season. OSU also leads the conference with a .484 on-base percentage and .556 slugging percentage.
• OSU's pitching staff is second with 11.03 strikeouts per nine innings. It is also third with a 2.79 earned run average.
• Jacob Melton leads the Pac-12 with 17 RBI.
• Garret Forrester is tied for the Pac-12 lead with 11 walks.
• Wade Meckler is second with 14 runs scored.
• The first-inning home run off Boyd's bat extended his hit streak to 12 games dating back to the 2021 season. He has six extra-base hits during the streak.
• UC Irvine scored a solo run in the fourth inning. It's the first time this season the Beavers had allowed a fourth-inning run.
• OSU has out-scored opponents, 13-3, in the first inning this season.
• The Beavers' top three batters have started every game this season; Wade Meckler in the leadoff spot, Travis Bazzana at No. 2 and Justin Boyd at No. 3. Additionally, Kyle Dernedde has started all eight games at the No. 9 spot.
• Oregon State improved to 8-0 for the 11th time in school history.