Flood Moves Into Third For Career Wins As Sand Devils Win Day
FORT WORTH, Texas – It was another successful road trip for Sun Devil Beach Volleyball as the team wrapped up the Fight in the Fort with a pair of dual wins on Saturday, beating Louisiana-Monroe in a sweep before winning a close one against New Orleans, 3-2.
The Sand Devils (10-6, 2-0 Pac-12) went undefeated on Saturday, winning both duals. The team finishes the Fight in the Fort with a 3-1 record and has won five of the last eight. Five Sun Devils reached 10 wins on the season. The sophomore duo of Taryn Ames and Kate Fitzgerald and the pair of Lila Bordis and Sarah Waters both reached 10 wins. Additionally, senior Maddy Salazar algo got to the 10-win mark.
Fifth-year senior Cierra Flood moved up in the record book for career wins, taking third place with 60 individual career victories. Junior Lexi Sweeney and junior Sarah Waters both moved into a tie for 13th in career wins as well.
Game One: Arizona State 5, Louisiana-Monroe 0
The pairs on courts four and five set the tone in the first wave, getting a pair of sweeps for the early dual lead over Louisiana-Monroe (5-9). The wins continued from there, with the other three pairs getting sweeps as well.
Results (Order of Finish: 5, 4, 3*, 2, 1)
- Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Brooks/Blazek (ULM) 21-19, 21-11
- Rylie Kael/Anya Pemberton (ASU) def. Adams/Gallant (ULM) 21-17, 21-18
- Lila Bordis/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Hoven/Moreland (ULM) 21-9, 21-12
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Gray/Nowak (ULM) 21-16, 21-14
- Maddy Salazar/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Bufkin/Elder (ULM) 21-12, 21-14
Game Two: Arizona State 3, New Orleans 2
The final dual of the tournament came down to the final court. Arizona State won the two matches in the first wave in straight sets. However, the Privateers responded by winning the first sets on all three courts of the second wave. Courts one and three forced third sets after New Orleans took the No. 2 spot. The dual was tied at 2-2 after ASU dropped the match on court three, but the top duo of Flood and Sweeney handled the pressure and won 15-8 in the third to clinch the dual.
Results (Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2, 3, 1*)
- Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Esarte/Pokoma (UNO) 24-26, 21-19, 15-8
- Walsh/Volpi (UNO) def. Rylie Kael/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 21-15, 24-22
- Jackson/Spartz (UNO) def. Lila Bordis/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-14, 18-21, 15-10
- Taryn Ames/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) def. Louviere/Melerine (UNO) 21-14, 21-17
- Maddy Salazar/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Gialenella/Baumgart (UNO) 21-11, 21-16
The Sand Devils are back home on Thursday, March 24. ASU will host Grand Canyon at 1 p.m. MST before taking on Pac-12 foe Stanford at 5 p.m. MST